{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Class Guidelines

Posted on 19/04/06 18:17:39
soccerkiddo3

Class Guidelines
I have been asked by a number of people what is allowed and what is not allowed for our cars. The attached document details my understanding of our current classes.

It also trys to lay out what I believe are the aims and workings of our group as well as a decision making process. I would like you all to read it. Please post and questions, queries or concerns here so all can contribute.

I would like to have a short discussion during our next get together at Drew's to decide as a group the way forward.

[Attachment: Classes.doc (34.92kb)]

Posted on 24/04/06 10:14:45
Karl Hashfield

Re: Class Guidelines
Hi Geoff.
May I suggest we add the points scoring method for each class to this doc.
Cheers
Karl

Posted on 24/04/06 14:19:15
Richard

I'm curious as to what "sleeves" are (for the pickups)?

Posted on 24/04/06 17:09:28
soccerkiddo3

A piece of thin copper added to the pick-up so it wears rather than wearing the actual pick-up.

Dave is the expert on this but I feel it is a must for the ThunderJets as getting replacement pick-ups will mean buying them from the US.

Posted on 26/04/06 15:04:17
Richard

We could always buy in bulk

Posted on 26/04/06 19:29:42
Dave in Perth

Geoff
Once again we all owe you. Thanks for putting all this down in such a succinct manner, you've covered the essence of what we do marvellously.

Re the G3 chassis, is it worth mentioning it must use std Tomy traction mags?

Posted on 09/05/06 18:05:03
soccerkiddo3

Updated guidelines attached. Only one minor change. Thanks Dave.

I meant to bring them up at Drew's but forgot all about them but as I have had no complaints I assume that we are OK with them so until you speak up and demand changes these are the rules.

I have decided to put the point scoring into a separate doc. Stay tuned for one to be posted soon.

I am also working on a doc that tells how different types of races are run (eg round robin, match racing etc). It is probably a couple of weeks away.

Geoff

[Attachment: Class Guidelines 4-5-06.doc (36.11kb)]

Posted on 20/05/06 10:31:21
soccerkiddo3

At the last race meet, Dave queried about the use of a shim to level the traction magnets. As this was agreed on the day, I have altered the guidelines to reflect this. This change also allows for the use of shims and spacers to compensate for wear and tear on the chassis.

Updated guidelines attached. As always, comments are welcomed. Imnovation and change is important.

Geoff

[Attachment: HO Class Guidelines 20-5-06.doc (35.98kb)]

Posted on 24/05/06 20:43:58
richard

I was having a think about the JL, and, since the objective is not to make them go as fast as possible, perhaps we should change the rules for this class a bit.

Thinking along the lines of suggesting we have the elimination rounds here, with the last two to come off in a maximum 10 laps are the winners for this round, which combines the handling aspect as well as the speed aspect of the cars ... if no-one comes off, the top 2 contenders in a round go into the next round - this will push people to move faster, but too fast and coming off will be a loss ....

Any thoughts on this idea?

Probably haven't explained it the best, but the theory is to move away from the 'speed' aspect of this class, as I don't think that's what we're racing them for ....

Posted on 24/05/06 21:39:34
Dave in Perth

hmm.. but we are RACING them

(this bit is my personal view) - the fun in thunderjets is the way they slide around, and I even think you can go faster around corners with the back hanging out slightly, and herein lies the required skill. Keep the momentum up, and smoothly power out of each corner.

This is only one opinion among a group, and I'm happy to try something new anyway

Keep the ideas coming!

Posted on 25/05/06 08:26:39
soccerkiddo3

Richard

Not sure I understand your idea but that is probabaly par for the course, I am not sure anybody understood me when I explained the different formats for racing either. Sometimes you just have to try them.

One bit of information I was given about race formats is to be careful about racers gaining unfair advantage from the lane they draw or opponents they race against. Try to eliminate the luck element.

On some tracks lanes (like Dave's) lanes are pretty even but on others (like mine) lanes have a huge impact.

Current formats either run all four lanes or only use two so there is no bad lane.

Qualifying is used to separate the faster drivers on the day.

Saying all this isn't offer comment on the suggestion (as I don't understand it enough to do so) it is simply giving you some more ideas to help refine it.

And as Dave said, "Keep the ideas coming".

How about:
- an "endro" race. (10 min heats)
- maybe one for a fixed number of laps (but I think we need the relay for that)
- a race with compulsory pit stops

Anymore ideas????

Posted on 25/05/06 20:05:10
richard

I think you may have called it "crash and burn" rules - come off and lose ... if there are 3 or more cars on the track, the first two over the line after 10 laps win.

Brings the skill element in (don't crash), as well as the racing (still gotta win) ....

Hope that explains it better ...

Posted on 25/05/06 23:06:53
Dave in Perth

crash and burn usually means if you roll the car you're out

I'm not sure many of the tjets acually rolled at our last meet - would a deslot count?

Posted on 26/05/06 07:47:56
soccerkiddo3

Now if we were talking the mini's. The number of roll overs I had I would be out of the race for the next six months.

Tjets I don't think roll very often. But deslotting can happen down the straight. What would we do if we had no finishers?

Posted on 26/05/06 20:45:53
richard

Under those circumstances, the first two off are the loosers ..

Example: a race may only go for a few laps and #1 comes off, so he's out, two more laps, and #2 comes off - so the remaining two need not go any further, they have won that round in under 10 laps.

Make more sense?

Posted on 30/05/06 20:11:31
soccerkiddo3

I am making more sense out of it and I am always willing to try something new.

Without trying to pour cold water on the idea, how do we allocate lanes. On my track the outside lanes would have a clear disadvantage over the middle two, they are just harder to drive.

How do we allocate lanes? (The race could be decided by the lane you draw)
or
Is this type of race only for tracks with lanes which are similar?

Posted on 10/06/06 22:31:09
richard

Sticking to a round robin format; but the possibilty of coming off ca shorten the length of the races ... ?

Posted on 11/06/06 03:34:39
Karl

I like Richards idea however I think because the lanes are so different this rules out this format unless the driver gets to pick their lane. As we saw at Kev's this may be impossible if all go for the same lane.
I can't think of any other way to implement this idea into any of our other categories including qualifying without there being some serious disadvantage. If we were ever to only limit qualifying or racing to the middle two lanes however, I think it would work.
One big plus is that it will speed up the event.

Posted on 12/06/06 19:55:05
Dave in Perth

I have to admit I like the existing Round Robin format alot

but like I said, I'm up for trying diff stuff.

Posted on 12/06/06 20:42:39
richard

it was an idea to try and place the emphasis on "driving" the t-jets, rather than "racing" them. But I'll have to come up with some new ideas

A super-G batmobile ... hmmmm ....

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]