{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Race formats

Posted on 21/05/06 19:07:35
soccerkiddo3

Race formats
I started writing a doc that described the running of the different race formats and found I needed some examples. So I went to excel to make the examples and found that instead of saying how to do it I could get excel to do a lot of it for me. We will not even have to count up the laps. The spead sheet will do it for us.

So out with the white board (and windows) and in with the computer. Attached is an Excel spead sheet for runniing the different races. I have included some instructions but I am looking at writing macros to do most of it. I have started with one to set the lane colours but intend to add more. I hope to make running a race will be as simple as entering the driver's name, pressing a few buttons and then entering the results of each race. The spread sheet will do the rest and I can worry about loosing every race.

Anyone who is interested please have a play. Any feedback, good or bad, is most welcomed. I would love to know what doesn't make sense and which bits don't work but remember it is a work in progress and will change.

More complete versions to follow.

Geoff

[Attachment: HO Race meet 20-5-06.xls (215.58kb)]

Posted on 21/05/06 22:30:26
richard

Re: Race formats

That looks great!!! I kinda like having the big board to look at when we're racing - reminds me how much I'm loosing by ...

I see value in being a suppliment; or is the maintenance of the two what is trying to be avoided??

Posted on 23/05/06 18:47:51
soccerkiddo3

Too hard working it out on the board
Now what we want is an electronic white board and data show!!!
maybe we just copy what is in the spread sheet to the whiteboard.

I just found it was time consuming and distracting working it out on the whiteboard as we go. At Drew's I found myself at the start of a race reading the whiteboard instead of concentrating on the real reason for being there, THE RACING. Between buying and selling bits and doing the whiteboard, I found that I spent little time thinking about or preparing for the races and with my form I need all the help I can get.

Next time, buying and selling will be restricted to befrore the first race or after the last. I am hoping the spread sheet will make running the races easier but more than anything else it should stop me from making mistakes.

I believe Kev has a nice big blackboard for the next races. We can fill out both and see how we go.

Posted on 23/05/06 23:03:43
Dave in Perth

Geoff

as far as any race management, manual recording and/or data entry goes, I hope to give you a hand/take over whenever possible.

For the amount of effort you put in to race organisation, you deserve to get the most fun out of a race meet.

The rest of us can help by reading for ourselves what race we are in, which lane, when we should be marshalling (which nearly all of us do marvellously, thanks guys) and even starting heats for races we aren't in.

The track owner should be responsible for the track and hardware, and someone else should take up the position of Race Director. This shouldn't be the same person at each meet, and we are now making sense of the race formats so most of us can do it. Help always provided

Let's keep this as enjoyable as it has been through group effort

Posted on 24/05/06 20:28:06
richard

Yep, when I was half way through writing the last post I thought there may have been that aspect of it; I'm happy to log it just to laptop/PC ... and Dave'ssuggstion of having a "Race Director" makes sense too!!

Do we make this the host? Or rotate this between the regulars? And what happens if we rotate it, and this person can't make it on the day?

Just a few points to ponder ... and happy to help in any way I can ...

Posted on 24/05/06 21:18:23
Dave in Perth

I figure whoever wants to do it can raise their hand - probably doesn't need to be formalised. As a group we all know what's going on anyway, if we don't we just ask someone.

I think the host should look after the track and hardware side of things (easy if everything works, but if it doesn't.. ).

I do like the idea of a board showing results AND where I should be racing next, but I can live without it. Just need to make sure Geoff isn't stuck with all the writing.

My 10 cents again..

Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]