{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: What class should we introduce?

Posted on 25/06/06 20:23:35
soccerkiddo3

What class should we introduce?
So the rev heads want a new faster class for racing next year.

We all agree that we keep the three class we have but to introduce a new, faster class for the speed freaks that want to go even faster . It is definitely not intended for everyone.

Possible classes:

Super Stock, as per the AHORA rules these are stock cars with stock arms, ceramic mags but with any choice of bodies, axles and tyres. This class includes Patriots, Storms and BSRT but also has people running Super G+ over east.

Restricted Open, not in the official AHORA rules. This would be open cars but with restrictions to keep costs down. Possible restrictions would include arms (stock, hot stock or green wire only), magnets (ceramic or poly only, no neo) and no ball bearings, anywhere.

Costs are unsure at this stage but Pete Richards is looking into it to see what he could do. From my calculations a Storm with upgraded front and rear axles could be $70 plus and the Restricted Open Patriot could go close to doubling that . I will let you know when I get some prices from Richo.

The plan is for those of you who are interested is to hang around after the last race at Karl's and have a chat about it. We will crank up the volts and run a car or two.

I have a Patriot, definitely stock. I also have the "t" chassis which are fun but as they have neo mags they are not quite in any of the rules (maybe we could make an exception).

Dave you have a couple of beasts. What are they?

Cam, you're buying a Storm from Richo. What sort of deal did you get?

And as for everyone else, please fell free to post a reply and have your say on whether it is a good idea or not and whether you would be interested.

Geoff

Posted on 25/06/06 22:15:46
CamZH

Re: What class should we introduce?
Hi Geoff,
The Storm cost me $50 + $12 for silicone coated sponge tyres.

Its not here yet, but I'll see it early this week !

Will be interesting to see how it goes !

I'm thinking that it wont be fast enough to satisfy the needs of some of us ! (me included !) but it will be interesting to see what its actually like, as most of the other cars are similar to what we have been discussing, and not exactly what we would be racing!

cya,
Cam

Posted on 26/06/06 15:03:01
Karl

Any idea on what the costs would be for an "Open Class Patriot"?
In the AHORA rules, is there such a class?

Each person needs to be certain as to what they want to achieve in the new class by prioritising the following considerations:
1) Speed (Which car will keep your juices flowing enough to maintain your interest for at least 1 - 2 seasons).
2) How much is your budget.
3) Do we want to ever compete over east (During a holiday jaunt)?

My thoughts.
As all of our current classes are structured around price, maybe the next class should not give price such a high consideration.
I've had a play with Dave's Patriot and nothing short of that beast now I feel will keep me entertained.

Hanging for a "Fanging"
Karl

Posted on 27/06/06 21:44:52
Dave in Perth

I'm still campaigning for the Wizz SP35.

All Poly, green wire arm, sillysponge tyres.

I'd love to go thru Richo, but have also got an ebay source who can do 6 SP35's for US$ 428 - free shipping. Works out to AU$95 each.
Whatever we decide on, we'll need parts too. Brushes disappear quickly, sili-sponge tyres would last maybe 2 race meets.

Another option is add poly motor mags and a green wire arm to our sg+/G3, but you'd prob end up spending the same amount once you factor in the tyres etc.

AHORA's Open Class is almost the same as the US Restricted Open - no Neo, ball bearings, shunts.

Posted on 27/06/06 22:28:19
richard

What kind of cost are the brushes and silicone tyres? Are these available semi-locally or do they need to come from the US? If it's the latter are we going to organize a single order for all interested parties?

Posted on 28/06/06 19:27:01
CamZH

all of the bits are available from wizzard it seems, www.wizzardho.com

Front 1st impressions i cant see that the Storm is a worthwhile contender, need to go faster

I think a group buy of things like bushes, spings, pick ups, etc is a good idea, maybe Dave can organise this with his contact who can supply the cars ??

Posted on 28/06/06 22:08:35
Dave in Perth

as Cam mentioned with his Storm purchase, a pair of compound tyres is about $12 and they get torn up quickly not like our solid slip-ons which last for years..

About AU $12 for a pack of brushes (about 10pr I think?)

Posted on 29/06/06 14:23:04
richard

Hmmm, I'm torn as to whether to part with the $$'s to get a Storm, or save my dough and buy an SP35 later ....

Posted on 29/06/06 19:46:38
soccerkiddo3

Maybe we should make a decision soon so we can go and buy our new toys sooner rather than later?

Come on Karl's place..........

Posted on 29/06/06 20:03:27
richard

Yes, agree on that, but at the moment the $1AUD = $USD0.729216 - if we're going to source from overseas, we may get better rates later in the year .. ? Just a thought ...

Posted on 29/06/06 22:18:50
CamZH

Meh, its only money !
Bring on the SP35 !!

Despite the fact i havent seen one run, i thinking the SP35 is a goer !

Cam

Posted on 30/06/06 15:59:18
richard

Hmmm, does that mean you'll buy an SP35 for me???

Posted on 30/06/06 20:43:39
CamZH

weeelllllll,
i was thinking that if we can only get 5 people who want them, but we need 6 to get that price from Dave's guy, i'd buy 2...

as for buying one for someone else to race... hmm... i'll get back to you on that one

cya,
Cam

Posted on 30/06/06 22:40:15
richard

I promise not to beat you !!!

Posted on 24/09/06 21:30:17
drew & clair

http://cgi.ebay.com/P3-GREEN-HORNET-Green-Arm-Poly-Mags-FAST_W0QQitemZ130020493030QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2619QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

this is my suggestion mite cost a bit but yeah i like it
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]