{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Team Enduro Event

Posted on 18/07/06 09:06:07
Karl

Team Enduro Event
OK!, a few of the guys have been talking about the idea of holding a "Team Enduro" event.
No dates have been set.
No rules have been discussed.
Proposed full race times have ranged from 2 hours to 24 hours.

Anyone interested?

Many questions are still unanswered like:

How many in a team.
Do we have a set time for each driver or just a minimum laps and turns for each driver.
Do we have a token entry fee to pay for a trophy for everyone to strive towards winning.
Do we have mandatory pitstops?

Start adding your comments here guys. All ideas will be collated and some form of event formulated and proposed in the near future.

Posted on 18/07/06 19:25:33
Monaro Doorslammer

Re: Team Enduro Event
Hey, sounds like a top idea. Its best not to get too carried away with the time length, but hey, bigger is better.

Posted on 18/07/06 20:17:43
drew & clair

YEAH I BE UP FOR THAT SHOULD MAKE A 6 OR 8 LANE TRACK .BUT YEAH LOTS OF QUESTIONS

Posted on 18/07/06 20:23:15
CamZH

Count me in !

I think we should run stock cars straight from the pack!
i think 12 hours would be good with maybe 3 team members? maybe do 30min stints or something ?? chairs would def be required
i think an entry fee would be good ! maybe $20 a head, then you can have the cars supplied, the team keeps the car and you have a few $$ left for something !

Also what class ? turbos? or SG ? I'd lean towards SG but only run them on 14 or 16V so they are easier to drive, no one wants to drive someting for 12 hours that comes off the track as often as my volvo

Cam

Cam

Posted on 19/07/06 16:13:33
soccerkiddo3

Minimum of 3 per team but could have 4: one driving, one marshalling and one or two resting.

4 lanes, 4 teams, 4 marshalls, 4 cars, 4 drivers why not 4 hours. 4 heats each 1 hour long. Fit it into an afternoon or evening.

4 teams of 3 people, requires 12 people to be interested.

Posted on 19/07/06 17:14:53
Karl

Sounds ok.

Are you suggesting we swap lanes during the event or should we devise a handicap system for the outer two lanes?

I would like to think during each of the one hour heats there will be some driver changes. Maybe that could be totally up to the team. If the times start to drop from fatigue, the team radios to the driver by shouting at him "Come on, it's my turn".

I agree with Cam about using the Super G+. Could be fun with the JL's though but not sure if my car would last that long.

Guys - Any thoughts on whether the team should use one car (The fastest car within the team for example) or each driver provides their own??

Posted on 19/07/06 19:07:45
CamZH

Change the car ?? are you serious !!

the 4 hour session sounds good, as you can do 1 hour per lane ! but that would also make it pretty quick with 20mins per driver, if divided by time. Which might be just enough to get the feel of it, but not long enough to loose interest !
Would also show up those of us with short attention spans

If it gets broken up into 4 heats would you be allowed to service the car ? i'm happy with yes and no, maybe clean the tyres + lube ?

Posted on 19/07/06 19:39:23
Monaro Doorslammer

Simple service would be good. Have to watch out on using them for 4 hours continously without oil...

"Plan 4" sounds good to me also...

Posted on 19/07/06 20:03:25
Karl

I agree with Monaro

I also think the cars should be allowed to stop and have a tyre clean any time they like. On a 15 meter track a very quick clean will cost them a lap. Ask yourselves - "What would you do"????
What do you think????

To end the session, the track power will need to be disconnected. I'd hate to loose by 1 meter after 4 hours. Hehehe

Posted on 19/07/06 20:24:53
CamZH

4 hours w/o oil??

It is called enduro

yeah, i guess a pit stop at anytime should be allowed like in any real race, as time not racing is to your disadvantage.

Posted on 19/07/06 21:54:08
soccerkiddo3

The way Super Gs are these days, would you get 4 straight out of a box that would last 4 hours?? May have to buy a dozen just to get 4.

Turbos are more reliable. Maybe slip on a pair of silicone tyres to improve their handling????

How many Lifelikes did you say that guy had at Rockingham? T chassis with silicones. Something different.

Posted on 20/07/06 14:17:48
Karl

DRAFT TEAM ENDURO EVENT RULES

Based on the comments made so far and my thoughts to fill in any gaps.

Unless any strong objections with good arguments are presented, the following looks to be the format for the up-coming enduro race.

4 Hours Total (4x 1 hour stints)
A timed 5 minute gap between each stint will only be used to:
Change lanes
Write down the results from the last stint
Change to the spare chassis if the team deems necessary (To inc body change)
Tyre Clean
Lubricate
Any more car maintenance such as pickups etc required will need to be carried out during the race while the spare car is used.

Once each 1 hour sting has started, the race will not be stopped.

All team members must drive at some point during each of the 1 hour stints with no minimum or maximum time given to any driver. Driver change over points will be at the discression of the team.

While racing, drivers may change with other team members as often as the team sees fit.

During each driver change, the hand controller must be changed.

Each team will have access to one car and any number of spare chassis so that if one car has technical difficulties during the race, a spare may be substituted.

Only one body may be used during the entire 4 hour event (So make it a strong one). When the main car is substituted for the spare, the body from the main car must be taken off and placed onto the spare.

All forms of vehicle servicing will be permitted during the race.

The unused car of each team may be worked on at any stage during the day.

Cars must be raced with bodies at all times. (1 lap penalty for each lap completed without a body)

The type of car must be a Super G+ with the body being one decided by the entrants a few weeks prior to race day.

Track voltage to be decided by the teams on the day.

Each team must have a minimum number of 3 drivers (To allow for marshalling and spare car repairs) but no maximum.

No team may have more than one extra driver than any other team.

Teams members will be selected from a system of qualifying heats on each lane.

Justifications for some of the above
I like the idea of straight out of the packet cars for racing but this adds an additional $80 to start the day. Who gets the car within each team at the end of the day?
The stint between sessions will be timed to keep the pressure on the team to be organised on who is driving and keep lubrication sessions short.
The hand controller must be changed during each driver change to add a bit more rush to each pitstop.

Remaining Questions
Who's race track should we use?

What should the prizes be (I think prizes for each team would be nice) This will also dictate however the cost of entry fees.

Any other considerations i've missed??

Posted on 20/07/06 21:39:11
CamZH

5 min breaks will make it a hectic 4 hours !!

Geoff: the toyworld at rockingham has heaps of t-class cars, i'd say at least 15-20 !

But they consistency of SG of late does give cause for concern.
The t-class seems more consistent, and its not a bad option, but the stock SG is faster.
I think one of the things you missed is silicone tyres Karl, i think racing w/o them is crazy !
but that brings up the issue of modifing the car At least the t-class can have silicones put straight on it.

Hard or light weight body ?

i say hard !
would also be nice to have a simliar style body, like the lemans bodies or something, so all the cars are similar
as for track, it would ne nice to have a simple lay out, Geoffs would probably be good !

I think mine would be too frustrating ! Drews old track would probably be great ! I think a long track would be good as most enduro races are on long circuits...

Posted on 21/07/06 09:01:15
richard

Would this be "in lieu" of a normal event, or an addition to?

Posted on 21/07/06 12:04:59
Karl

The plan would be for it to be just a fun event in addition to the normal races. Until any problems are identified from such an event it probably should not be used for a points race. Even the distribution of points would be difficult or unfair.

Daves track would also be a good one. "Low" so the marshals can use chairs.

I agree - silicones should be used.

One idea.
If the entry fee was $11 per person the following could apply.
The first $4 per person could to paying for the trophies for each driver of the winning team.
The next $7 goes towards paying for one (Fresh from the packet) car to be used in the race. Each member of the team finishing second in the race, would win the 4 hours old used and abused car.
No prizes for 3rd and 4th (unless we up the fees).

Now how much is too much to enter a race offering prizes???

Posted on 21/07/06 18:48:02
CamZH

but what about food ?? !!
ohh, we are only talking about 4 hours arent we

Posted on 21/07/06 18:51:41
Karl

Within a 4 hour period, you will only race about 1 hour.
Hang in there tummy, I'm coming

Posted on 21/07/06 18:55:01
CamZH

So when is the red bull challenge ???

Have we got a volunteer track ??

Posted on 21/07/06 19:20:48
Dave in Perth

I like the sound of those LL T chassis with silicones and a hard body, assuming they don't have a track clearance issue. A car no one should have a distinct advantge with.

*Could even do a "Parts Bin" race, where all cars are disassembled, parts mixed up, and each team gets one car's worth of parts to build as best they can to race for the entire 4 hrs.*

I think we should only have at most 1min between lanes, it is an enduro after all.

Can't say I'm big on prizes, I reckon bragging rights would be enough! Cheaper too!

Any car maint. should be done during the race, at the expense of laps.

Don't like the idea of changing controllers between stints as cars usually take off as the controller is plugged in

That's it for my personal wish list (so far hehehehehehe..)

PS how about 30 min rotations? That way we run each lane twice.

Posted on 22/07/06 00:16:08
Monaro Doorslammer

I like the idea of having ALL maintenance (be it small or howge) to be conducted during active race time. I mean, imagine the situation at Le Mans. Audi 1-2 in the 12th hour, all of a sudden everyone racing stops because Allan McNish needs to blow his nose.

Doesnt happen...
page: 1 2 3 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]