{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: The Great Power Supply Debate

Posted on 19/08/06 19:35:03
mt mellum

The Great Power Supply Debate
Hi all
it's come to the time when I need to get more power than the std wall packs deliver.

I'm interested in any, all, and every idea to get the ideal power supply. Cheap expensive and downright crazy will all be considered. It needs to be capable of running t-jets thru to wiz/predator hot arms

My starting points are this.

1.Wall packs per lane with multiple taps?

2. the ebay special, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260020645242&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

3. a vague recall that Cam had something flash?

give us your thoughts

cheers
dave in qld

Posted on 19/08/06 20:40:20
Dave in Perth

Re: The Great Power Supply Debate
1. Forget the wall packs (wall warts as the Yanks call them). They are unregulated (varying voltage) and put out only 5.6 W.

2. Pretty much what Karl is currently using. Very simple, readouts are great. 5 Amps is good for SG+, but may begin to show it's limits with hotter arms/magnets etc.

3. Cam has up to 30V, more importantly he has 20A at his disposal. This is the kind of power supply the rest of us paupers would like to have. Just don't short something out, cos 20A can do some serious welding.. Expect to pay up to $300 or so.

In general: you want something REGULATED, adjustable between about 12-24V, and can supply 5A minimum (10A is much better).
Power taps are a good idea regardless of power supply.

Great to hear from ya

Cheers

Dave in Perth

Posted on 20/08/06 11:34:59
Karl

Hi Dave.
I agree with Dave.
If you are going to run a predator with other mates using hot arms at your place running the same types of car you need at least 10 amps at around 18-22volts. (We estimate 12 amps would be more suitable). A supply near the limit of what you will be drawing (in amps) needs an easily re-setable circuit breaker or you will forever be changing fuses. If you get a supply like Cams, then no problem.
If you get a supply like the one on eBay, it has overload protection built in but you will not get the most out of your hot cars running 4 at a time.
If you only intend on playing with the predator at home by yourself or at the most one other person, a 5 amp supply will do (just).
We have tested a car with a hot arm and peak loads (ie taking off from a standing start needs 3 amps).
Super G+ cars draw a lot less and a 5 amp supply will easily run 4 cars.

Cheers
Karl

Posted on 20/08/06 17:30:42
mt mellum

thanks guys

so Cam, what's your trickery? where did you source it from and what are the pros and cons? a web address?

will the ebay/Karl model do unless I'm running a predator race 4 lane? ebay the best source/price?

and will cam's monster be happy doing stock turbos and those nephews?

cheers
dave in qld

Posted on 20/08/06 20:07:28
CamZH

Hi Dave,
I got mine from Altronics. The company I work for gets a good discount from them !
And the cons of the thing sure are how much damage it can do !

I left a bit of metal across my track today and burnt out my Parma, and melted some track

So I really need to install those circuit breakers !
It is fine to run anything, slow or fast !
Just depends how far you turn the knob !!

Cam

Posted on 20/08/06 23:28:17
Dave in Perth

or you might get two Karls for the price of a Cam..

Posted on 21/08/06 09:55:06
mt mellum

all good so far

Cam was this your monster? http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=M8212
can your company get a good enough discount that would negate the freight to me in Qld? (if you were cool with that)

is this DSE one an alternative? http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44e8f64f0c0ca8342742c0a87f9c0726/Product/View/Q1770 or this one http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44e8f64f0c0ca8342742c0a87f9c0726/Product/View/Q1760

dave, would running the two karls on 2 lanes be the go for the hot cars to manage the power aspects or is this still marginal?

choices choices!

Posted on 21/08/06 16:54:56
CamZH

Hi Dave,
The M8212 is the one I have. I'm not sure how the work account goes for buying things like this for friends and such, I'll ask the question, but my price was $225.50
Postage would be about $20-25

Avoid DSE if you can, I dont like them besides the bigger of those supplys is only 5A ! But it does have current limiting on it, which mine doesn't.
Running 2 supplies like Karls would mean running one per 2 lanes.

Posted on 22/08/06 09:18:09
mt mellum

oh boy,
it gets bigger!

what help/hinderance does current limiting provide on a power supply?

at this stage I'm leaning towards the karl model given I'm a bit solo in terms of club racing. Unless of course people think otherwise?

getting closer tho to a decision.

Posted on 22/08/06 11:05:34
richard

I bought one of Karl's supplies, with the mentality that if it needs bigger power later, I can get a second PS and rewire the track ... it also works out better economy-wise as you don't have that single investment ...

Posted on 22/08/06 17:40:56
CamZH

Current limiting isnt that useful for racing, but good for doing other things.
I've often charged SLA batteries with a bench supply, and using the current limiting you can limit it to 200mA or so.

If your only going solo and not looking to run heaps of big cars 5A is fine ! And the only place you'll really notice it is when all cars open the throttle to full at once from a stand still !
At least with a supply like the one Karl has they just limit the current at 5A but it remains a constant voltage ! So if you have 4 cars all drawing about 1.3A which in total is 5.2A the supply will probably only deliver 5A so each car will only get 1.25A if one car comes off the cars will get an extra 50mA which wont do the classic both cars off at the same time due to the plug pack.

But head room is always good At least I know I can have 4 cars all drawing 5A and the supply wont skip a beat !

Posted on 24/08/06 12:12:21
Chadly

I'm a bit old school when it comes to power. I don't think you can go past the pure clean supply from a battery! It can get messy (and heavy) if you talk about running 100+ amp car batteries but i've seen little gel cell's do a brilliant job. I think you can get them in nearly any voltage you want. Gel cell's are rechargable but you would have to include a main fuse/trip or one to each lane.
On my own track i plan on running a 12volt G/C for stock turbos/SG+'s and T/J's and an extra 6 volt G/C for modified cars (an extra few volts if needed too!). On my 2 lane track i will probably use one main 15amp fuse/trip.

Posted on 24/08/06 15:08:28
richard

Gell Cell??

Posted on 24/08/06 22:00:12
CamZH

Also knows as Sealed Lead Acid.
I dont like the idea of using such things as they potentially more brutal than my supply ! Like Chad said, they NEED fuses ! These batteriest will easily supply 50A for a shourt duration ! Most SLA battiers will go into melt down if you try and do it for a long period of time !

I dont like the idea that you are limited to 6V steps, unless you want to buy 2V ones ! I remember Jaycar were selling 2V SLA cells, they were HUGE !! and not cheap either, were at least $100 ea !

Posted on 24/08/06 22:43:37
richard

expensive!!

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]