{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Routing Banked corners

Posted on 21/08/06 09:11:47
mike

Routing Banked corners
Hi All,

I was wondering if constructing banked corners has made the fitting & keeping in place of the wire more difficult. It seems to me that pulling the banked corner into shape would ikely result in the wire slots closing up slightly, possibly not by enough to cause dramas but if anyone here has tried it I'd appreciate your advice on the matter.
Also, it seems that a fair degree of "persuasion" is required to seat the wire. If this is done after the forming of the banked corner it imples that the corner must be particularly well supported so as not to damace it. Have I got this right or is it better to fix the wire, pre-forming?

Cheers,
Mike

Posted on 21/08/06 10:25:09
richard

Re: Routing Banked corners
Mike,

Have a look at this page:

http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/trackbuild/banking.htm

And some general construction tips here:

http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/trackbuild/index.htm

I think (from reading the article, not practical experience) the larger your degree of banking, the more the gap shrinks, so the harder it is to get the wires in place - do you know what degree of banking will be your aim? Tomy track is around 25° which is great for the fast cars, but the T-Jets have some difficulty getting around it. (on a slow run-up anyway!).

I believe the wire should be added after the forming of the banked track; one idea might be to run a piece of 1/16" wire through and use a knife to edge out any rough bits - and glue to keep the track down if you get overzealous

Posted on 21/08/06 18:32:53
Dave in Perth

route the stuff while flat, install the wire after banking. Drew experimented a bit and found a good strength PVA glue works quite well too.

As for banking angle, a good rule of thumb is -10 degrees for every 180 degrees (eg make a 170 degree flat corner, and pull it in to make 180 degrees with banking).

Posted on 21/08/06 18:54:37
richard

What was the final banking on your 6 laner, Dave?

Posted on 22/08/06 14:59:14
mike

Thanks Guys.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]