{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: 2009 WA HO state titles - proposal

Posted on 28/09/08 13:20:36
Chadly

2009 WA HO state titles - proposal
We have a venue (ECU Joondalup) where it will cost $17.50 an hour (without setup and pull down time included) plus $25 for public liability. I think this would be easy to cover with a few donations (i know i'll certainly put in). I'll pay the $25 AHORA nomination fee for running each class (that'll need to be done soon), we firstly just need to decide how long we are prepared to run the event over and how many classes.

My first proposal is to run 3 classes starting at 8am (9am race start), going through to about 6pm.
or
Run 4 classes starting at 8am (9am race start), going through to about 9pm.

If we run 3 classes, i propose dropping the stock (turbo) class.

Have a look at the format i have attached. I propose that each class is run to that (or something like that).

[Attachment: Race_Formats.xls (20.82kb)]

Posted on 29/09/08 13:32:41
Bill Anderson

Re: 2009 WA HO state titles - proposal
I take it that all competitors must be a financial member of AHORA INC.

Posted on 29/09/08 17:28:51
Chadly

if we choose to go through AHORA!

Posted on 30/09/08 17:38:00
Dave in Perth

$17.50 per hour?

I think spending over $150 just for a venue is very OTT, would much rather hold such an event at someone's house and contribute to the host's costs. (I do however appreciate the effort of looking into other options )

I'd much prefer to run an AHORA sanctioned event.

Posted on 01/10/08 12:04:16
Chadly

Do you have anyones place in mind?
keep in mind this will be a public event too, where everyone is invited.

I think somewhere like Karls (for instance) would be way too small.

Posted on 02/10/08 23:03:06
Monaro Doorslammer

Ouch, sounds a bit pricey for a one-off, surely?

Maybe shop around for another venue, a small community centre or church hall would be a good bet for cutting costs?

XSRDragRacing.com - Western Australian slot drag racing site
XLR8Raceway.com - 1/32nd fun located in Bibra Lake

Posted on 09/10/08 20:17:36
woody

how about maybe running at checkered flag i think they still have a track there if they would let you maybe
just putting it out there

Posted on 12/10/08 17:52:23
Monaro Doorslammer

Good Lord, a lesser spotted Woody woodpecker.

HO track was sold, unfortunately, last I heard.

Posted on 12/10/08 19:53:58
Chadly

Something to reflect on.......

Editorial:

Slotcar racing, as a sport/hobby, has been around since the 50’s and is enjoyed by a wide variety of people. The variety of the people who own slotcars is matched only by the differing levels of involvement these people choose to have.
Some are confirmed “slot-heads” (who are at the track, basically, everyday) some spend a lot of time preparing and readying equipment for a night of racing each week. Some have the equipment but only race a handful of times a year. Some people own “a” slotcar, along with a few spares that only see the light of day a couple of times a year. There are people involved at these levels and everything inbetween.

The one thing I have noted, in seeing all these people at home and at the tracks, is the ability slotcar racing has to, in general, make people happy. Sure everyone gets frustrated (the gear that won’t mesh, mutilated bodies, cars that don’t want to handle, etc). Usually though, for the overwhelming majority of the time people spend with their “slotties”, they are wearing a smile on their dial! You may have one of the slowest cars in existence, a car that is peripherally challenged (doesn’t turn corners very well), or a small surface missile. Anyone can put a car (or something that is meant to resemble a car!) on the track, plug a controller in and just “go for it”!

Everyone out there wants the quickest/best car, but that’s just in our human nature. Simple logic will tell you that no matter how much time, money, magic dust, or whatever you put into your car/equipment, things can always go pear-shaped. It is deffinently true that the more time/money spent on a car is directly proportional to it’s reliability and performance. So I ask you then; where’s the REAL pleasure coming from? Is it to see who can afford the most time/money out of our (relatively short) lives? Of course not! There are an infinite number of things people can spend their time/money on in our society today. An experienced wingcar driver might go put a standard flexi-kar on the track and get as much, if not more, pleasure fanging one of them around than doing sub-3 second laps. There are people who have never won a race in their life, as there are some people who have never even entered a slotcar race before. It doesn’t matter. Happiness is in no way related to how much time/money you spend or how good you are.

My point is; Slotcar racing is enjoyed at ALL levels by EVERYONE! Be it the sociality, the camaraderie, or even the pleasure of just putting a car on the track, it has something to offer everyone. That little bit of “euphoria” can have the ability to change someone’s day, week, even life. So, you see, this isn’t brought about by owning the most cars, spending the most money, or having the best win/lose record. You will find the biggest thrill about slotcar racing is by just BEING THERE!

Slot on!

Chad.

(written for 1/24th scale Xtreme Raceway, Welshpool 2003)

Posted on 12/10/08 20:50:44
Karl

Many a true word spoken.

Did you write that Chad?

Posted on 12/10/08 20:59:36
Chadly

yep

Posted on 13/10/08 16:35:04
Bill Anderson

You should take up politics Chad

Posted on 13/10/08 17:55:59
Monaro Doorslammer

Give Burkie a ring on his mobile, quick!

Posted on 09/11/08 01:02:15
Chadly

this topic needs to be talked about.
it would be great if we had more time but the proposal needs to be finalised.

Now i think we have finalised a venue (ECU Joondalup). I think there are enough people in this group willing to help out financially. Anyone who cant help out.......thats ok. We will have to recover, atleast some of, the cost through race entry fees.

Classes: I think there should be a solid 3 classes run on the day (AHORA Tjet, stock and super stock), with provision for a fourth class, RO, if there is time (if not, we'll have a separate race for them somewhere else)
Classes limited to 30/35 entries.

With super stock, to aid new racers and "blow ins", i think among the hard core racers we should have enough parts to put cars together for the day to sell on the day. Remember we can also race P3's and storms.........wouldn't it be nice to have a couple in their bubble packs on the counter.

I think everything else is covered, as far as putting a proposal for AHORA.
Is there anything else anyone would like to discuss?

Posted on 09/11/08 12:47:03
Karl

There is so much to discuss really Chad. We should all probably meet adm thrash a few things out

I'm not sure if 35 per class turned up, we could manage to get through all classes in the given time. Geoff, would be best to advise on this.

I like the idea of having RO's but you cannt have it as a "Maybe" class. If I was coming over from the Eastern states, I would want to know what is on and when, to make travel arrangements. We could advertise if there are x number of entrants registered by a certain date then an RO race will be held at ? venue on the Sunday following the state titles between the hrs of ? & ?.

I'm also in two minds as to how much fun each one of us will have by competing and being involved in the organisation as well. For example, if the race director was involved in sorting out a dispute between rounds but that same race director had car problems and needed to work on their car, ????......

There will be too many ideas and questions to properly discuss on the forum. When shoud we meet to discusss????

Posted on 09/11/08 20:39:01
Chadly

ASAP.............the proposal needs to go in now!

Posted on 10/11/08 09:57:08
ozhoslotcars

Don't overthink things guys...and don't plan too big....

Its always good to be prepared for a good crowd but you need to stick to realistic figures....

AHORA Inc still has to meet to ratify Class changes discussed on this forum etc and that is unlikely to happen until towards the end of January...

Also, I would think it highly unlikely that East Coast racers would head over for a WA event given costs involved and general lack of HO racing here on the East Coast. I know I personally would not be attending because of the expense and time off work...

Like I say..keep it real......

Posted on 10/11/08 18:33:26
Monaro Doorslammer

I still don't think that's the best or cheapest option for a venue.

Posted on 11/11/08 12:19:26
Dave in Perth

omg I agree with Dave

35 per class?? not in our lifetime..

as Rod said, keep it sweet n simple, just do what we normally do while conforming to the AHORA specs.

Use one of our existing tracks, too many problems with temp tracks.
It is often shown that ppl do get beaten on their own track, so I still think it's fair.
There's enough room at private houses, especially if racers bring along a small table or the host clears all available space.

It's still just racing little cheap(ish) toy cars remember

Posted on 12/11/08 10:02:06
Chadly

This is meant to be a spectacle for anyone coming along. The venue is not the cheapest but i think it will be A1 in terms of room, comfort and spectacle.
We want to advertise hard and get people along for a look (if not....a play). Do you think they will feel comfortable in a strangers home? Would you feel comfortable with complete strangers walking in off the street?

If all goes right, it wont be a temp track that we will be racing on.......it will be a continuous rail permanent routered track.
If, in the event that we do have to setup a temp track, i will work throughout the night to make certain the track is as good as it can be!
PROMISE
page: 1 2 3 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]