{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: A couple of pieces of information.

Posted on 10/11/08 20:05:01
soccerkiddo3

A couple of pieces of information.
I came away on Saturday with mixed feelings on a couple of things that happened.

While contemplating those feelings I have come across the following couple of pieces of information. They don't directly affect us but they have changed my thinking on the way we should handle things.

I thought that I would share this information with everyone else before we start talking about next year.

1/ HOPRA have suspended national racing in Mods and Poly Mods classes for 2009.

For those of you not aware, HOPRA have been arguing about magnets and magnet strengths for these 2 classes for the last few years. One manufacturer has even threatened legal action. HOPRA seems to have decided that it is all too hard for now.

2/ The following is an email from the organiser of the Lemans 24 hour HO Race held this weekend in the UK.

Thank you to all for your support of Le Mans 2008.

Unfortunately, based on a majority vote by the team captains, it was felt that BRCA, who finished in first place according to the statistics, should not be awarded the win, as the team captains were not comfortable that they ran within the spirit of the event.

With no independent adjudicators available to monitor every rule and watch every team throughout the event it is very important that this spirit is maintained at all times for the health and continued running of this, the biggest HO 24-hour race in the world.

I am not prepared to go into the details that have lead to this decision as it will lead to an e-mail war and the only loser will be the event itself.

DHORC is committed to organising the Le Mans race for many years to come but cannot commit to putting together a rulebook that covers every eventuality and monitoring everything that every team does, and then spending hours discussing them in minute detail.

This may be a big race but the main purpose is to get likeminded individuals together to have fun. This is a hobby, no-one is paid to run the race, but many spend an inordinate amount of time planning and organising it. This same time should not be taken up discussing rules to the enth degree, deciding who is breaking them and who is not, otherwise the fun element will very quickly disappear. It has to be a gut feel that the spirit of the event is being adhered to.

Naturally this decision is regrettable but we will ensure the 2009 event goes ahead with the right spirit, so all go home with the knowledge that they have been involved in what I personally believe is a fantastic event.

A copy of the race spreadsheet will be forwarded to all later this week

Cheers
Nick Sismey

Posted on 10/11/08 23:22:47
Monaro Doorslammer

Re: A couple of pieces of information.
Must have been a major breakage of rules to cause such a kerfuffle. That's the problem when faced with grey areas in the rulebook.

But curious to find out why this would affect our group (ROs?)?

XSRDragRacing.com - Western Australian slot drag racing site

Posted on 11/11/08 06:51:20
ozhoslotcars

Very interesting.....

Grey areas in the rulebook do cause problems....(thats why with AHORA Inc we have done our utmost to erradicate the 'grey' area)

Nick Sismey and the LeMans guys do a great job....shame to see something like this happen....

And as for the US deal : what more can you say...nothing surprises when it comes to the yanks.....!!!!!!

Posted on 11/11/08 11:58:00
Chadly

poly mags = $40US
neo mags = $25US
!!!!!

I love fun racing..........spend $25 on a car and race!
I love "core" racing just as much though.......spending time and money on a car is the ultimate (in my mind). It is a disappointment to try and race core on fun/underpreparred tracks/equipment.

Posted on 12/11/08 07:38:40
Bill Anderson

I think that the only race meet we have held this year that had a level playing field was the enduro at Kev's place, I don't think that the majority of the cars run at our meetings are legal or on a level playing field. We are not playing for sheep stations, if we are I am not interested. Thanks Bill

Posted on 12/11/08 10:03:48
Chadly

do you true your tires Bill?

Posted on 12/11/08 21:20:56
Dave in Perth

no sheep stations, I'll race ya for a lamb chop

I'm pretty sure most (all?) cars raced are within our rules and the spirit of each class. I also know from discussions that most wouldn't be happy with a win through cheating.

A bit of time tuning and alot of driving practice does wonders come race day eg note Richard's improvements since having a track, and my lack of performance without one.

I (re)discovered a forgotten YouTube vid from Cam last night, 6 Tjets running around Drew's monster Blue Ice Raceway - big laughs and smiles all 'round just as good as any serious racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Z6wpIBqUk

tho what's with the hairpin? 6 cars enter, 4 disappear

Posted on 13/11/08 07:50:18
Karl

I totally agree Dave. The majority (if not all) of our cars are certainly legal. I have no problem at all with my cars being scrutinised and am positive that would go for the rest of us. So if anyone has any knowledge of any "Cheating" going on either intentionally or unintentionally, then let's hear it (not on the forum) and we (as a group) will address the issue. Making bold false comments publically doesn't help the group at all.

When it comes to being a level playing field, you get out of your car what you put into it "Within the boundaries of the rules" of course. It was interesting to see that even two Mega G's fresh from the packets in the review were not the same.

Great link Dave from Cam. I love the sound track, the slow mos, 6 cars on a track and the smiles all round. Its amazing how much Jason and Ben have grown in that time. Maybe we should do some footage at Geoffs in December and make some more. This life is going toooo quick and they are great memories to look back on. I'll get my video camera charged up Geoff.

Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]