{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Now this OVAL track may be fun !!!!

Posted on 18/01/10 21:34:58
soccerkiddo3

Now this OVAL track may be fun !!!!
I got this email today and thought I would share the track with you lot.

Anyone going to the UK? I can supply contact details for anyone interested.

Nick Sismey wrote:
The first running of the Brad Bowman built 122 foot eight lane Rockingham Oval (believed to be the worlds largest purpose built slot car oval) will take place on Sunday 28th February 2010 in the Nightingale Hall, Rolls-Royce leisure association, Moor Lane, Derby, DE24 9HY, England from 10am. Please see attached map, which shows our normal Club Room, the Nightingale Hall is opposite this room.

While the four races run at this event are part of the 26 Round 2010 DHORC Championship we are opening up DHORC Membership to those racers who cannot normally make a Tuesday Club Night. For just £10 you can race as a Member at the four Rockingham races above and the Le Mans Club Night on the Thursday night before our Le Mans 24-hour race in November. This is a wonderful opportunity for racers up and down the country to pit their skills against long standing DHORC Members with similar machinery on a brand new track, new to all. Alternatively you can pay just £5 and run as a Non-Member with separate Finals. Racing will be split into Adults and Juniors, with Juniors being classed as those competitors who are 16 years of age this year or below.

Up to date competitor race information will be projected onto a wall-screen so all are aware of their positions.

If you are interested please contact myself Nick Sismey at ------------------ or on ---------------. I can then send you our Rules and Regulations so you can see what cars we use. More details, including a timetable, about the day's racing can be found after the photographs below.

We are having a final trial run of the circuit at the end of January where the first cars will run on both the oval and the four-lane infield circuit, which will be between 300 and 400 feet in length. A further update will be provided after that which will include pictures of some new features never seen before on a UK HO slot car track as well as the final confirmation of the event going ahead in February.

Timings are as follows. Note: Timings after 1000 hours are approximate, depending on the number of competitors, but below are the latest each section will be run.

0900 hours

Four Lane circuit opens for practice in 3-minute sessions

0955 hours

Track Closes

1000 hours

Qualifying begins for the Open Wheel four-lane event.

Each competitor will race their Open Wheel car on all four lanes for 3 minutes at a time. (Note: Each competitor will complete all four of their qualifying races consecutively in line with normal DHORC rules. The total number of laps completed by each racer will be added up and then a series of Finals will take place with the bottom qualifiers in the first Final and the top three qualifiers in the 'A' Final. Therefore even if you qualify last you can still win the event, but you have to win through every Final!

1230 hours

Open Wheel Finals, with lane choice going to the top qualifier in each Final through to the third place qualifier in that Final. These will also be three-minutes in length. The winner of the previous Final will move up onto the lane remaining in the next Final.

1300 hours

Lunch

1330 hours

Qualifying begins for the Enclosed Wheel four-lane event.

1600 hours

Enclosed Wheel Finals

1630 hours

Track closes while it is converted over to the Oval

1700 hours

Qualifying begins for both Open Wheel and Enclosed Wheel

This consists of each competitor completing 5 laps from a standing start on one lane, Open Wheel on Lane 4, Enclosed Wheel on Lane 5 (Note: Two competitors will therefore qualify at the same time and then change over to their other car). The time taken for each competitor to complete the total of five laps will then be used to calculate the Final grid positions.

As the Finals are "Win From Any Final" the top qualifier can choose the best lane in the 'A' Final, the second qualifier the best lane in the ''B' Final etc if they wish.

1745 hours

Open Wheel Finals of three-minute duration.

1800 hours

Enclosed Wheel Finals of three-minute duration.

1815 hours

Track Closes

Posted on 18/01/10 23:25:19
Dave in Perth

Re: Now this OVAL track may be fun !!!!
ahh yes, saw this posted in the SCI forum as well

I love it how the Brits FAR outdo the Yanks in terms of size...

Car tuning aside, it might not be so much fun if ya never had to slow down for corners..
Throw 30 volts and some BIG gears at it hehe.

Keen to hear the impressions from their racers

Posted on 19/01/10 10:12:32
Em_the_Squirrel

their tracks are so big because nothing else is... we *yanks* don't need to overcompensate

Posted on 19/01/10 19:17:53
soccerkiddo3

But Brad Bowman is a Yank isn't he.

A BIG track built by a Yank for the Brits to use

Posted on 19/01/10 21:34:09
Dave in Perth

Em_the_Squirrel wrote:
their tracks are so big because nothing else is... we *yanks* don't need to overcompensate

yes, Cam has always hinted about how big you are..

Posted on 20/01/10 07:24:00
Em_the_Squirrel

and i've always hinted at how much cam over compensates

Posted on 08/06/10 09:35:17
jwl_slot_cars

Hate to think how many power taps this track takes

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]