{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Cleaning AFX track

Posted on 07/03/10 14:21:31
revenger

Cleaning AFX track
Hey all new to slot car racing and looking around for a forum to join came across this one as I'm also in Perth.

I have recently picked up allot of track second hand (way too much for my needs)

And its needing a good clean as the rails are pretty dirty (some sections are dead sections over this) and the cars cant drive around properly.

So what is the best way to clean all the pieces and the joining lugs without damaging the track.

Thanks

Posted on 07/03/10 15:08:16
richard

Re: Cleaning AFX track
Welcome aboard!

Peco make a rail cleaner for trains, but it's perfect for AFX track - you can get one at Stanbridges for about $7. I'll try and upload a pic shortly, but the baby needs some attention now.

Cheers
Richard

Posted on 07/03/10 15:18:43
revenger

Thanks

You guys know about making or getting a track cleaning car or addon?

Running the car over the track a few times (even on track I have already tried to clean) is making them work properly but its messing up the pickup shoes so need a to get or make car or addon to a car I can run around.

But you cant really find anything already done.

Posted on 07/03/10 17:36:38
richard

Track & Rail Cleaner

To always keep your track and steel power rails clean you can use the Electrex Track & Rail Cleaner. This handy device snaps onto any Tomy Super G+Plus chassis and makes track and rail cleaning as easy as driving the car around each lane for a few laps before a night of racing.

The Electrex Track cleaner snaps on to any Tomy AFX Super G+Plus or BSRT G3 chassis. This is the best ten bucks you'll ever spend for track maintenance.

See: http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Track.html

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 07/03/10 17:55:04
revenger

Yea saw that one Id love to get it and messaged the guy that runs that site a couple days ago as its out of stock but no response yet.

So I don't make another thread where can I get pickup shoes and how do I calibrate them.

As I notice the ones I got with the cars the track was making grooves in them and the spares its making smallish grooves already.

Posted on 07/03/10 19:52:21
kevin

Hello Revenger , Welcome aboard , I shall be holding the next race meeting down at my place in Armadale on the 27 of march so if you'd like to come along just contact me via my direct e-mail address ( locoman3830@optusnet.com.au ) or via my website "Kev's Workshop" - It's a long winded Westnet address - as I have one of these track cleaners in my collection , If you were to visit - you could see it work 1st hand & get a feel for a monthly race meet etc.

Who knows - you might enjoy the team & racing that we do??

Posted on 07/03/10 20:04:01
revenger

Thanks for the message will keep that in mind and might just come along to see what others are doing.

Posted on 07/03/10 20:06:03
kevin

Hey guys - also , just a bit of info you you all , I shall be attending the Ace Ford annual street cruise being held at Curtin Uni this Saturday ( 13-6-10 ) from about 2:30 - 3pm onwards , from about 5pm everyone will be going on a cruise around Perth & will meet up at a secret location somewhere that has been planned by the Ace Ford club's organisers , If you woul like any more details just goto the Ace Ford club's website ( there's a link to it from my Links page of my website ) & is also in my "Events" page too! ; It's usually a lot of fun!! - "Dave-O" ( Dave H - where's the Datto???? )

Posted on 07/03/10 20:49:46
soccerkiddo3

Revenger wrote:
So I don't make another thread where can I get pickup shoes and how do I calibrate them.

As I notice the ones I got with the cars the track was making grooves in them and the spares its making smallish grooves already.

Hi Revenger,

The pick up shoes will always wear especially on the square edged AFX track. You want the shoes sitting flat on the rail so that the wear is along the full length of the shoe and you get maximum contact. This requires small tweaks of the shoes just to get them to sit right.

As for buying shoes, you can buy them loose. The last lot I got came from Colin at Checkered Flag Slot Cars in Maddington. A bag of 50 for about $20.00 but other places sell them loose also. If you have any problems getting them then drop me a message. I can help out.

As Kev said, a new face is always welcome at our get togethers. We are spread all around Perth so the travelling is spread around. If you would like any extra information or would like to be included on our mailing list just drop me a message.

Regards Geoff

Posted on 07/03/10 21:07:29
Monaro Doorslammer

The what now?

Posted on 08/03/10 10:42:56
Dave in Perth

Hiya Revenger

I recommend getting hold of some CRC 2.26 electrical contact spray (blue can), it works very well for getting through rail oxidation, and conditions the rails so they oxidise less once clean.

Assuming it's Tomy AFX track you've got - sometimes the z bends in the rails need a little tweak outwards to make firmer contact with the next rail, especially if the bit of adjacent plastic is broken out.

Sanding with emery will fix up RUSTED rail, but beware of making the rail too low.

Lastly, a well adjusted shoe will wear less and provide much more consistent electrical contact (more speed!! hehe), just tweak the small step bend as Geoff said earlier

Welcome to the forum, and maybe we'll see you at a race meet some time
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]