{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Pancake motors..

Posted on 17/06/10 15:33:20
zoltechx

Pancake motors..
Ive come to the conclusion that model motoring and auto world chassis are high maint..!BUT REALY fun to drive when running well.Having scoured the universe for ifs and maybe's, i still have a model motoring chassis screaming like it has gear issues,and running under powered. But have concluded with post help that brushes are a real issue.BUT ive done a complete rebiuld including new zapped magenets,green armiture,jb t brushes, except for the main chassis...is it warped ?

Posted on 18/06/10 08:29:27
Dave in Perth

Re: Pancake motors..
After doing a fair bit of searching and experimenting, the issue of the screaming pancake lies in the lower armature bushing (ie the hole in the bottom of the chassis).

One fix is to use a very small amount of thick oil/grease to lessen the arm shaft movement.

I'll PM you with another fix

Posted on 18/06/10 15:48:59
zoltechx

Good to meet ya Dave , thanks for the idea, yea it seemd like some kind of excess free play, so well give it shot, the chassis is a model motoring chassis and got it primarly for the body<mustang hardtop> and seemed a shame not to be able to run it, so we just upgraded the bod to a auto world, fitts but not quite right as the rear gear rubs a bit , near the rear window, had to just pack it up with small washer cool thanks again

Posted on 18/06/10 21:42:29
kevin

I found that out a few years ago now with my t-jet , all is needed is to make a small brass bushing for the lower end of the motor shaft , a length of "K&S" brass tubing can be saught from your nearest hobby shop & then just cut to length , it should be a "push fit" into the hole but just big enough to fit over the shaft although you might have to experiment a bit to get it right.

Posted on 18/06/10 21:58:29
Dave in Perth

glad you found the enjoyment of the old skool cars, hell fun to drive on the edge, especially on a dirty, slippery track!!

Posted on 18/06/10 23:30:13
zoltechx

ah forgot to mention, testing on the bench with out the body, runs good, screw the body on, hit the track, runs 1 lap starts to scream and slows down and then falls off on the banked curve due to lack of horsepower...the brass strips that push up the brushes are realy badly deformed ..due operator interference..coughs...hmm..but in 4days ..not today..not tommorow..but 4 days i will try and rectify this serious ISSUE..thank you..sighned joe with hammer at hand....IF I CAN BE SERIOUS FOR A MOMENT..the age old question ? TO MAGNETIS OR NOT TO MAGENTIS..that is the question? dictionary?????

Posted on 19/06/10 14:38:01
Dave in Perth

did you get my PM about fixing it?

If the car is still running, the brush springs can't be too bad

Re magnets, do you mean traction magnets?
Do whatever you find most fun, personally I think putting traction mags in these types of cars kinda kills their essence, but that's just me haha

Posted on 19/06/10 15:14:44
zoltechx

yea dave got the pm ...thanks.. and kev sounds like good advice to thanks,yes traction magnets.. racing is pretty diverse. some prefer the classic slidd racing and some like the super fast races, like the americans. thats some compedative stuff which ive seen on you tube at lucky bobss raceway in wisconsin, were i get some of my autoworld stuff..super g"s are great buy they throw my track around to much as it aint screwed down, cuase its for ever expanding and changing..hmmm heres the track and shed pic.

Posted on 19/06/10 15:30:53
zoltechx

lighting up the main staright way, using $2 xmas lights gotem at the reject shop..WARNING these are 240 volt handle with CAUTION fitted into 25 x 25 plastic ducting, the lid is slotted for the lamp wiring then the base of the duct rolled over and mounted on 20 mm cuts of plastic condiut over the lamps for safety and glare reduction

Posted on 19/06/10 17:01:27
Dave in Perth

nice lights

We love our slidy tjet racing here, but also enjoy modified magnet racing (SG+, Wizzard etc).

Best of both worlds

Posted on 19/06/10 19:42:46
richard

Nice track, it kinda reminds me of some of Cam's early (indoor) tracks, before he made the monster ...

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 19/06/10 20:21:35
zoltechx

lot of good running gear around these days dave, wizzards hi tech, yet to buy1, but like what i hear about em... thanks richard, the pic dont do it justice as usual with these things, just tryin to cram as much track on to the table..our main objective here is to utilise differnent electrical and biulding technologys and recycle discarded stuff, like from the table which once served as a packing crate.hmm.behind the scenes this whole set is remote controled/ power up and some relays seperating all the different voltages and controls..even the pc may play a part in it..hmm cheap recycled but effective. i think theres a cb radio in there somewhere to ..did i just say that..sorry

Posted on 20/06/10 11:12:51
Dave in Perth

ahaha recycled stuff is what I live on.

Definately get yaself an old pc to run a laptimer/counter, if ya haven't already.

There's a few free programs around, and sensors aren't too hard to set up.

Posted on 20/06/10 14:29:56
zoltechx

waste nothing...if your not using it just throw it over my fence dave..yea we got hold of braunys lap timer..great stuff..had some isssues with the 25 pin port wirng, but evetually got there cause printer cable wirng seems to be diff from parralle cable..hmmm ill throw in a couple more pics of the power system we got here..modified auto mini roller door control for total shut down, feed from rcd safety switch>>ELECTRICAL SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT..these things will SAVE your LIFE ..in the worst case cenario>.but there not full proof..as they only realy work on active to ground faults not active to nuetral..

Posted on 20/06/10 15:59:38
zoltechx

oh hounarble fat rats nest..pic shows track control box, left joystick pc power to track overide. centre toggle lighting off/on 3rd toggle foward reverse, relays seperate 2 18 volt supplies1 for each lane, foward rev realy, 240 v 12 v track on off indication and straight away lighting..simple Probably could use a plc if we know how to programe the damm thing Hey you need your next enginnering project wired call LOCKHEAD MARTINI our proffesional courtious skilled staff can help..good old fashioned E MER I CAN knwo how..cheap too, at an inflated price of course..dont callus we already know

Posted on 20/06/10 17:32:44
zoltechx

over and under track 4 laner might be nice ...did some one mention MONSTER..can i rent your warehouse sir..please

Posted on 20/06/10 22:14:45
zoltechx

cams track ..had a look at that..does sharks have any thing to do with it richard..is it superstiton< i got no idea how to spell this at all> as theres an old piece of poker machine art work in the left hand corner of one my pics..white pointers..hmmm voodoo..may be cam and i are related,,some mysteroius way yea i liked his ultra violet track..thall would have been great to race on in the dark..but realy did termites eat it..and did he biuld an other back to watching marx bro's day at the races

Posted on 21/06/10 15:01:52
zoltechx

If the need arises and you need to turn or off 240 volt up to 10 amp gear..via remote..then this might come in handy..1 is a Arlec system now defunct<on the right in pic> it was tempramentle unit in gegards to the handset.The other newer model from Kambrook is pretty good, comes with manual overide on the plug in reciever and it lights up blue with biult in led light when active.Most hardware stockists may have em. Comes with 3 plug in units and 1 4 channel hand set..at about $30 plug and play.. easy to programe via self learning,,,,,but no good when power is shut off to the supply as you have to reprograme the plug in reciever unit.

Posted on 23/07/10 23:19:19
hohoho

Dave,

Perth T-Jet class similar to the "FRAY" style T-Jets out of the US? I may have a car for you to 'dust off' for me

---
Ed

Posted on 24/07/10 08:34:47
richard

Don't give it to Dave - he already wins too many races

Cheers

Richard
page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]