{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: BRAKING....HOW DOES IT WORK

Posted on 19/06/10 20:32:38
zoltechx

BRAKING....HOW DOES IT WORK
any 1 give me some pointers or a brief explanation of slot car breaking...can i upgrade a stock afx track system including controlers to include braking...from an electrical aspect dynamic breaking normaly involves applying a reverse voltage after foward voltage has been removed..boom ? wiill it now blow up..probably if it was ac..heck i dont know

Posted on 19/06/10 21:20:06
Shawnster

Re: BRAKING....HOW DOES IT WORK
Hi Zoltech, you can use braking on a stock track if you use a 3 wire controller with a brake wire. It applies a ground - voltage across the track and basically makes the motor act as a generator. Nothing should blow up as it's not a reverse voltage, just an equal one. No current flow so no probs. Plenty of resources on the internet such as wiring, it takes a while to sink in, but worse is your car goes full tilt or you blow a fuse, no harm really. (bit like slots in general)

Posted on 19/06/10 21:36:29
zoltechx

giday shawn ,,yea i saw a post1 of the other guys put up a while ago in regards to wiring compatability between tracks, it showed the ground wire for breaking...i was joking about the booms, i just worked on some industrial conveyer systems that use breaking generaly thru some motor control system .like plc or motor controls using ac volts or may be a combo of both..heck never realy knew what i was doin..? but i get your picture ..ill work towrds it ..ta

Posted on 20/06/10 11:16:55
Dave in Perth

what Shawn said - for brakes, the controller shorts the track out (while the supply power is disconnected!!!) .

Need mentioned 3 wire controller, like Parma or even some of the 1/32 ones, aim for 45-60 Ohms.

Posted on 20/06/10 11:20:22
Dave in Perth

what Shawn said - for brakes, the controller shorts the track out (while the supply power is disconnected!!!) .

Need mentioned 3 wire controller, like Parma or even some of the 1/32 ones, aim for 45-60 Ohms.

Posted on 20/06/10 16:16:59
zoltechx

cool..somethin to think about..heard about the parmas evey ones usin em..but i werent shure how the braking circuit gets wired to the resistor say in stock afx controler ,, maybe some mods need to be done to achieve what im think of doin..if i get my hands on a parma controler ill have a close look..i think theres a pdf doc some one once posted .. i got an old slot car mag here from 1967 theve got some cars that have air/or dampener type brakes that raise at the rear of the old cars..

Posted on 20/06/10 23:31:56
Dave in Perth

I wouldn't bother with trying to mod a standard afx controller
The housing is fused together (hacksaw job), and there's only 2 wires in the cable and plug.

We've also found they fail when running anything but standard power/cars, usually the return spring gets too hot and goes brittle - SNAP!

Find a cheap Parma, or one of the 1/32 controllers around with brakes included.

The brake wire (usually red) is wired to the other power rail (the black wire should be attached to one of them already).

Those old '67 cars sound hell weird!

Posted on 21/06/10 00:17:23
zoltechx

think its called a stinger..car with air break spoiler..i was misled by the mag its a1/32 or 1/24 ..no good to us no room in the smaller cars..but interseting anways..i might post a pic...yea the afx controlers are sure stuck to gether well..weve had the privlage before....

Posted on 21/06/10 14:40:34
zoltechx

Posted on 21/06/10 15:38:14
zoltechx

Posted on 21/06/10 16:12:36
zoltechx

are these still used on BIG cars some where in the world ? Could it be adapted for use on ho cars or not practicle..Any idea's

Posted on 21/06/10 22:40:07
zoltechx

AUSTRALIAS biggest ..sydney always braggs

Posted on 22/06/10 10:11:06
Dave in Perth

ahh, I remember those days well...

(no, it's like 8 years before I was born)

Posted on 22/06/10 14:24:56
zoltechx

Growing up is St kilda around 1960 there was a slot car joint around the corner from us, in Carlile st, kinda dark, smokey and dingy a big long hall with old guys sitting around drinking brandavino, out of paper bags, not a bad bunch a guys actually.I think there was a women who managed the place called Shirley, i think she used do some biusness out the back ? She was nice enough too, she didnt mind us hangin around, and the cold cokes were always on her.We used to watch them blokes race and listen to thier hard luck stories.. But it werent the best of enviroments for young kids, so weed spend most of free time at Luna park at the penny arcade or at the beach looking for treasure.. OPOLIGIES FOR LONG WINDED, NON PARAGRAPHLESS RANTS ..i know it may be hard to follow my ramblings some time..as i cant get this thing to seperate sentences..doohh forthis im sorry and apologies for nothing else..zol

Posted on 23/06/10 21:04:07
Dave in Perth

hey, Geoff (soccerkiddo) is from Victoria too, he was probably one of those guys with the bottle in a bag

Posted on 23/06/10 21:54:17
zoltechx

wat can i say to that mcwilliams port at a $1.50 a bottle----1974 hey can you ask him if he's still got some cars to sell

Posted on 24/06/10 11:19:37
soccerkiddo3

Can't say I was ever in at a Slot Car track in St Kilda. I came from down on the Peninsula and never got my slot cars beyond Frankston except for one memorable trip to the Southern Cross in the city but that was a family outing. No brown paper bag bottles on that trip.

I still have three cars from back then but they are not for sale. Lots of HO cars available. Check out my last posting on the for sale section to give you an idea of what I have.

Posted on 24/06/10 15:02:09
zoltechx

ahh the coast,,from st kilda to to portsea, we used to stay at safety beach<now days to popular> used be the place to be with out the crowds..The wifes from down that way Tooradin , born in koo we rup, frankston aint that far either. The southern cross was a cool place to be at the bowling alley, it has now been replaced with a new govenment building which houses their land revenue dept Thanks geoff, ive seen the cars for sale..yes i have nice assortment, some id been very keen on for awhile, i was just hopin you hadnt sold them all..mainly say the life like dick johnson or 05 and maybe a few others..ill show a sample pic below..thanks ..ill butter up the mrs and ill email you sooner than later.thanks zol

Posted on 24/06/10 15:09:29
zoltechx

ive seen daves hand crafetd vacum formed, i think its a BLUE HQ or HJ holden sedan..nice work maybe i could use one of them too..as far as dragsters go this is DRAGSTA..yes i say DRAGSTA..malvern star cycle..some dude at luna park

Posted on 24/06/10 15:16:10
zoltechx

a few more on the wish list ..thanks geoff im realy looking for bodies...but if they come with chassis, it dont matter and they dont have to perfect niether

page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]