{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: BRAKING....HOW DOES IT WORK

Posted on 24/06/10 20:44:31
zoltechx

Re: BRAKING....HOW DOES IT WORK
Hi Dave. ide realy like to mod a stock controler, just to see how things, BURN, or break like you mentioned the spring. Ive got a couple of ideas i wanna try atleast.But like Shawnster said about "it acts like a generator,, this sounds familair, but got no idea how it works.. so here' a drawing of the stock track wiring with a micro swith installed into the controler completing the short..to ground or negative...if i can get the right micro switch to fit and trigger when controler is released..i will light up like a xmas tree

Posted on 25/06/10 02:03:18
Dave in Perth

erm no switches needed, just a contact at the end of the trigger travel (full off, make sure it's not anywhere on the wire windings) and a 3rd wire connected to the other track rail (which you already have drawn).

No need to make it any more complicated

Posted on 25/06/10 11:08:04
soccerkiddo3

Zol

I was born and bred just down the road from Safety Beach. Born in Dromana and brought up in Rosebud. Raced slot cars at the local Mini Golf.

I can help you with most of the cars you marked. These are all duplicates I have and in some cases I have 3 or 4 of them.

In most cases you can choose if you want a chassis or not, a lot cheaper without and cheaper again if the body is not perfect. So you can get some real bargain. In some cases however the chassis has matching wheels or whatever I like to keep these together and sell them as a complete car.

Just drop me an email when you are ready.

Geoff

Posted on 25/06/10 12:40:50
zoltechx

thanks Geoff..give me a couple a weeks, ive waited this long, i saw the cars about 4 weeks ago,so a couple more.. i think i can wait,,as im just gonna find a heater core for the Daewooo..i cant spell it let alone find a quik fix for removing it..darn..But my old master from my apprentiship days back in about 1984, i guy called greg, his dad had the holiday house at safety beach, they had an alumnium run about and we used to go fishin there. It was the only place i ever knew you could catch whiting with foil from a ciggarette packet..AMAZING ON THE MONEY AGAIN DAVE but even to trigger a micro switch might be problem, with strength in the metal slide contact, but i wont know till i rig 1 up ..i will give it a go the way ya say..AS the drawing goes, its taken me 25 years to fully understand how the basic of contol circiuts work.. were gettin there i thinks.. but i would have had a short circiut i think if it was a stock track as there is plus link between both tracks. ive already removed that cuase im running 2 seperate supplys..ill add the wire and plugs..making looms is what ido.doo..voddooo

Posted on 26/06/10 18:16:44
zoltechx

ahh this has is been a fun excercise,,,,now as far as australian wiring standards go we like to control our active part of our circiuts, namely the plus side of the supplys, where the americans some time use negative, commonly called ground logic, sometimes used to drive solid state relays. My track uses the latter. moding the stock tyco controler has preseneted a few hick ups...with the wirng drawing above im getting a DEAD SHORT,,,darn so i may have reverse my supply and get back in the shed..All went fairly well in regards to rewire, used some 3 core 0.75 mm squared flex and incorporated the green earth wire as brake return to track..the tyco has a plastic step from the resistor on its return to off, here i placed a crimed lug slotted to recieve the returning contact and hot glued it into place< fine tolerances to avoid doubling with resistor> and then connecting the other end to the track controler connection and the green brake wire<blue in the above drawing> to the plus off under the track with solder..WELL SEE HOW IT PANS OUT

Posted on 26/06/10 18:25:49
Dave in Perth

that sounds about right for a negative wired track..

should notice the braking effect more with a pancake motor (more rotating inertia and less magnetic downforce)

Posted on 26/06/10 18:32:15
zoltechx

Getting hold of a slot car, a cordless drill and a multi meter, attached the mm with aligator clip jumper leads to the car pick ups and butting the drill chuck up against the rear wheels of the slot ... START YOUR CORDLESS DRILL, and let it spin your wheels, it generates about 1.5 volts into the mm.. A VERY FAST DRILL MAY MAKE MORE VOLTS..but i doubt it pic shows mods for above, incorporated insulated wire link to take current load of spring..cant see..its blurred

Posted on 26/06/10 18:45:37
zoltechx

IN ER TIA ..wats dat mista

Posted on 27/06/10 18:25:51
zoltechx

the exception to any rule..PERSIST, PERSIST AND PERSIST..after reversisng my supply..as i connect the brake wire to the track, it sparks..what the heck again.. put a multi meter across it , its loaded drawing 2 amps..Every thing else is mechanically sound,,,meter across the adjacent track, its showng a common ground/posative.. and the second power supply has been removed wat da heck..time for ciggarette and sit back..while enjoying my smoke...i notice 2 bits of AFX CONNCTOR TRACK,where the power supps go with 2 controlers plug in ,<used these to lenghten the whole set up as we were out of stock straights>THATS WERE THE COMMON SHORT WILL BE BRAKE TESTING BEGINS.. slight affect but minimul as this track is rather slow and only need to back off on the throttle to slow down..DO a run over a set distance , human reacton time affects stopping..TEST INCONCLUSIVE.. 3 CARS USED ...it works in theory and practice ..thank you for your contributions NEXT WEEK WERE BUILDING A PARTCILE ACCELERATOR..i have some theorys i want to try ..

Posted on 27/06/10 20:26:45
zoltechx

THE 2 OFFENDING ..SHORTING SUBSTITE STRAIGHTS..now my tracks to shorttttt but its got brakes

page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]