soccerkiddo3

Re: New controller
The heart of it all

an MJ11015 I believe.

Posted on 23/06/10 20:38:12
soccerkiddo3

and the rest that makes it work.

Thanks for your help Dave. I couldn't have done it without you.
What web site did the info all come from?

Posted on 01/07/10 19:09:55
soccerkiddo3

Hmmm, problem with these controllers is they need to be connected correctly to the power supply and track. If you don't get it right then you have problems. I was playing with mine on the hill climb and I had the power supply switched the wrong way.

The good news is that the transistor has built in protection in the form of an internal diode that just allowed the current to pass through, no damage.

The bad news is that the brake pot didn't. One new pot modified and wired to control brake or coast now doesn't do either. And I didn't even get a chance to test the coast function. Time to get a new pot and try again.

Posted on 01/07/10 21:57:07
Dave in Perth

maybe pick up some circuit breakers while you're there Geoff

must be a better way of track direction changing, implemented in the black/red wires AFTER the controller plug, after some diagram doodling looks doable.

Posted on 05/07/10 20:34:21
soccerkiddo3

OK Dave,

The wiring for the power supply is a little suspect but to switch after the controller would need 4 switches, one for each lane. right?

In terms of the pot, just how many amps does the brake pot have to handle?

Posted on 05/07/10 20:35:11
soccerkiddo3

OK Dave,

The wiring for the power supply is a little suspect but to switch after the controller would need 4 switches, one for each lane. right?

In terms of the pot, just how many amps does the brake pot have to handle?

Posted on 05/07/10 21:00:36
Dave in Perth

yep, one reverse switch per lane, which is perfect for the Hill Climb

The brake pot shouldn't need as much amp capacity as the power current draw, as for actual values I have no idea..
I'd think 1A would be heaps... maybe could test by putting a 1 Ohm (1/4W) resistor across the brake circuit, then run several laps with an RO and see if you can burn it out?

All scientific like

Posted on 06/07/10 14:01:57
zoltechx

an easy to use pie which may come in handy..find the unknowns..just measure the variables with multi meter..IF ALL ELSE FAILS..TRIAL AND ERROR..works best

Posted on 14/07/10 16:47:46
soccerkiddo3

My order of transistors has come in so I have finished off a couple more controllers I was working on.

The first one was a Parma Econo controller using the same specs as the first one.

Posted on 14/07/10 16:59:06
soccerkiddo3

The next one also used a Parma Econo controller but I used smaller pots giving a neat finish.

Posted on 14/07/10 17:02:58
soccerkiddo3

Most of the required bits are built onto a piece of strip board which replaces the resistor and add the transistor into the handle. The bits work out cheaper than buying a new resistor for the controller.

Requires minimal changes to the frame and handle. I have a supply of transistors and can help with the details if anyone is interested....

Posted on 14/07/10 17:50:53
Dave in Perth

one transistor please

Very neat work, how does the smaller pot/parallel setup run now??

Posted on 14/07/10 19:36:20
richard

Got a wiring diagram?

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 15/07/10 10:27:19
Dave in Perth

it's something like this...

Posted on 15/07/10 13:33:26
zoltechx

i think i can get one of those from geds hobbies for about 30-50 bucks for the eccon..ahh what do the pots actually do

Posted on 15/07/10 15:41:21
richard

this is an electronic controller similar to the slot.it controller (http://www.melbournemodelraceway.com.au/slotitcars.html) - the ones ged will sell are most likely an analog controller ...

the two pots will control sensitivity and brakes, which means the controller can be used on a variety of cars (rather than changing controllers) and possibly scales

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 15/07/10 15:43:30
richard

Analog controllers: http://www.melbournemodelraceway.com.au/parma.html#parmacontrollers

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 15/07/10 16:49:47
zoltechx

yea i was just havin alook around for controlers..Thanks richard for clearin that up ,, electronic controlers are no doubt smoother and cooler to run and more versatile so that you can race any scale ..cheers all the best zol

Posted on 16/07/10 11:11:12
Dave in Perth

technically these transistorised controllers are still analogue
as opposed to digital.

The transistors themselves are rated to 30A, which should easily cover most slot cars except maybe hot wing cars... don't know the power requirements of those..

Have been so pleased with the one I built, and Geoff (Mr Soccerkiddo) has now also learned the joys of them

Handles any car, any track, any volts.
And like Geoff said, CHEAPER than replacing a Parma resistor

Zol, there's nothing to stop you making a controller from scratch!!
The wiper board is just a bit of vero/prototype board, could make the wiper from brass (or even flog one from a Tomy controller hahahaha), so just need some sort of handle and trigger, bit of acrylic plastic or whatever can be fashioned into one.
Here's one built by Alan Hale..

page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]