{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: New controller

Posted on 16/07/10 11:45:38
soccerkiddo3

Re: New controller
Dave in Perth wrote:
Very neat work, how does the smaller pot/parallel setup run now??

Dave,

The pot works really well. It is a 1k Audio pot with a 100 ohm resistor in parallel compared to the 100 Ohm linear pot that I used in the other controller.

They have very similar characteristics in the mid range, slightly restricted on the hi end and a bit steeper on the low end. Overall very close and if anything makes the end ranges more usable.

The big test will be how they last as they are not wire wound. Still at a quarter of the price and so much easier to fit I will continue to use them unless they start giving problems.

Posted on 16/07/10 11:53:00
richard

Which transistor are you using, and where are you getting them? When I looked into it, the people on ebay were selling them at $16 each, but that doesn't add up to the 'under $20' statement ...

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 16/07/10 12:07:51
Dave in Perth

I may have got the number wrong, the trans is MJ11015..

Can be found cheaper than that, especially as Geoff got a few extras in

$5 each

$2 resistors (pack of 10x33 Ohm), plus may be an extra 1/2W one

$3 vero board

$8 100R wirewound pot (Geoff has found a cheaper solution to this!)

$2 misc wire bits, which most of us already have

= $20

Posted on 16/07/10 13:13:13
soccerkiddo3

You were right about the prices elsewhere, that is why I bought a bulk lot. Happy to sell them for $5.00 each.

The pots I am using are under $2.00 each. At this price you can include a second one for adjustable brakes and still get change from $20.

I even have some Parma controllers which have already lost their resistors going cheap so if you don't have to wait until your's go before you start building your new controller....

For more detail on how they work check out http://slotracing.co.cc/control/cont1.htm

If you want a transistor, handle or just a bit of advice on the build just get in touch.

I am working on a new one with a third pot for what is sometimes referred to as a "choke" but that is another discussion.

Posted on 16/07/10 13:39:24
richard

I bought a bunch of controller handles from ebay a while ago, with the intent to convert them to transistor controllers - as this was the time Graham was racing as well I intended to make 2, but the price of the transistors put me off (plus the million other projects on the go!).

I'd certainly be interested in one or two of those transistors!!

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 16/07/10 14:43:36
richard

http://www.potsindia.com/VR1.html

Posted on 16/07/10 18:10:14
soccerkiddo3

These are the standard 24 mm wire wound pots, $7.95 in Altronics. A bit of a bugger to mount inside the handle and they do require wires to connect up. The ones I am using now are 16 mm pcb horizontal mounted. They go straight onto the vero board and fir inside the handle.

The vero (strip) board does make the build that much easier. I am not only using it for the wiper board but also to hold all the other bits just makes the whole assembly that much easier. I am trying to minimise the need for any wires.

I will put a transistor or two away with your name on it.

Posted on 16/07/10 21:27:16
richard

Got any snaps of the insides?

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 17/07/10 17:56:36
soccerkiddo3

The first couple of controllers using the 24 mm pots have a mess of wires holding it all together.

I put the resistors on the vero board but still has a few pieces of wire linking it all together.

Posted on 17/07/10 17:59:08
soccerkiddo3

It all fits in the handle but it is a bit of a squeeze. Have to watch that you don't get wires caught or anything.

Posted on 17/07/10 18:02:49
soccerkiddo3

The next one with the smaller pcb mounted pots has done away with most of the wires and has all but the transistor on the vero board.

Posted on 17/07/10 18:08:40
soccerkiddo3

A simple modification to the trigger/resistor frame has the whole lot being held on by the nuts on the pots. The wires to the transistor/brakes use pcb mounted connectors so the whole lot can be removed by undoing a few knobs, nuts and wires.

Posted on 17/07/10 18:38:52
soccerkiddo3

All fits in a lot neater with the transistor still in the handle.

Packaging it like this makes converting a controller from a standard resistor quite a simple task. You could go back to the resistor just as easily.

I am soldering the transistor in. Not sure if that is a good idea or not?

Posted on 17/07/10 18:56:42
soccerkiddo3

Now working on a controller with a third pot using the space to the front of the frame. It will give me the ability to turn down the top end of the range without affecting full power. Might be useful on a twisty track like Dave's.

Also have to try a bit of paint on these handles. I seem to have a good supply of orange ones.

Dave, Do you have any green paint to spare? Maybe not, one green controller in the group is enough.

Posted on 17/07/10 20:28:43
zoltechx

master craftsman geoff

Posted on 17/07/10 20:33:15
Shawnster

I got a Cox Controller, handle only, any ideas how to make an electronic thumb powered controller, would be slightly challengining as I don't have the plunger for the thumb.

Posted on 18/07/10 12:15:20
soccerkiddo3

Shawnster wrote:
I got a Cox Controller, handle only, any ideas how to make an electronic thumb powered controller, would be slightly challengining as I don't have the plunger for the thumb.

First question is Why would you want to make an electronic thumb powered controller? all though the first controller I ever used was a plunger style Cox Controller.... and I do have a couple of old plunger style controllers, not COx but maybe

Posted on 18/07/10 22:11:51
richard

There are some alternate transistor controllers when I was first looking into it here:

http://neophytte.mine.nu/forum/forum.pl?fid=05&topic_id=1193713142

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 18/07/10 23:38:05
zoltechx

thanks for encouragement davo and explanations.. i think it was richo who posted a link to nz where some blokes had a full on digital/electronic controller which they were either biulding or selling for about $300..these might be ok, but i think its over kill for general slotting ..geoff's done a marvolous job fitting the pots and terminal strips STRAIGHT TO THE VERO BOARD for quik disconnects and maint.. where did he get the idea ? do you find the vero boards burning yet ecspecially at the start of the circiut , when the wiper first engages..this might happen in the long run i feel..veros dont take heat very well as i remember..CAUSE I KNOW YOU GUYS LIKE TO LOADEM UP..with high performance cars and just curisoty what part does the transistor play.. is it part of the control circiut or just for polarity protection Thers a pic here ..how and what is that made of..?good stuff i like the idea of contollers with exposed workings ..OH GEOFF DONT PAINT THE ORANGE ONES OK..

Posted on 19/07/10 09:18:31
richard

Yep, one of the links I collected when looking at this was for a "JayGee Controller", who showed how to build one, then on his site he sells them for about $us250 - quite pricey!! I think the best value for money is still the Slot.It controller (about $au160 at Stanbridges): http://slot.it/INGLESE/KitPart/electronics.html

I seem to remember Alans (sp?) was made of perspex, but that might have been another controller ....

Cheers

Richard

page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]