{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: New controller

Posted on 19/07/10 12:08:54
Dave in Perth

Re: New controller
Best value are these simple transistor ones, more adjustment than I'll ever need, and VERY electrically robust.

Zol, the vero board only takes a small current, not the full motor current, that's all handled within the transistor
So no heat issues there at all - backed up by the small 1/4W resistors (that link the vero tracks) not burning out either.

Yep, Geoff has done some amazing packaging/cost reduction work!!

Posted on 19/07/10 15:31:17
richard

Oops, meant "best value for money pre-made"

I'm keen to see the choke added - checked my spare controller handles and I have about 4 ready to go under the knife

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 19/07/10 19:26:31
slotilyadrop

the wiper board is square brass tubing . it,s super glued to 3mm perspex and then araldited to stay
in place.the trigger is made ally and has two ball races to run smoothly.

Posted on 19/07/10 19:59:08
zoltechx

brass..hmm very cunning..BRASS IS GOOD it looked ceramic, kind a whiteish...tanks SLTP

Posted on 20/07/10 20:08:18
soccerkiddo3

Now Mr Hale, he is truly a Master Craftsman, me I am just make good use with what is available to me. That goes for using other people's ideas. It was Shawn that used the vero board for for a wiper board.

I have been busy with the controller (next I have to look for some cars for Zol).

Three pots,

- First one is a choke but it only affects the top speed on the transistor, full power is still full power.
- Next is the Sensivity. As before but is affected by the choke setting.
- Last is a brake/Coast control.

Hoping the Choke will be handy on Dave's track. Normally all I do is twitch the trigger finger. Maybe I will be able to drive the car this time.

Posted on 20/07/10 20:20:10
soccerkiddo3

You may have noticed a couple of mark on the back of one pot. To make a pot into a Brake/Off/Coast controller, you have to pull it to bits and attack it with a Dremel like so.

You make a single potentiometer into what is effectively 2 rheostats with a bit of no man's land in between. Go too far and you have to throw it away. Don't go far enough and you short out the track.

After you put it back together you simply connect the brake wire to one side, the power wire to the other side and connect the wiper to the brake on the wiper board. You can then control from full brakes through to no brakes onto power assisted coast. If you keep going you can even drive the car using the brake knob alone.

A couple of points on this:
1/ I have no idea if this pot will handle the current brakes need as I don't really understand what currents are generated. Only time will tell.
2/ I am not sure if this is going to be useful. While it may be interesting to be able to double or even triple (or more) the braking distance of a car, I have no idea if I will ever use it. Again only time will tell. (unless someone out there has already tried this and can tell me if and when they use it.)

Posted on 20/07/10 20:36:49
soccerkiddo3

Now I fit this all into a handle. It is starting to get a bit tight. I need to add the transistor and do some testing.

BTW
- to get the board in I had to remove the trigger.
- initial checking with the multimeter has reminded me that with log pots the connectors have different properties. You can't swap connectors just to have the knob go a particular way.
- Morwell Fun Shed is the name of my controller.

Posted on 20/07/10 21:08:52
richard

Wouldn't it be easier to add a SP3T switch to change between brake and coast functions for the pot? Like this one:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S1330

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 20/07/10 21:34:56
richard

Or like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-MINI-Toggle-SPDT-OFF-DIY-Wired-Switches-B103-/290455731414

(ends in 5 days)

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 20/07/10 21:39:07
zoltechx

necessaty is it the mother of inveton ? being recourcefull maybe the key geoff ive pulled many a rabbit out of the hat and out of some one elses garbage bin cutting down a pot that i would never contemplate...but hes done it perhaps thell make an academy award for all us weekend craftsman .... ohhh i call this guy the godfather of slots ..>> http://www.henryharnish.com/high/index.htm

Posted on 21/07/10 20:27:17
soccerkiddo3

Thanks for your kind words Zol but you have the wrong person. You are right about necessity though. I only attacked the pot to protect myself from myself.

Richard, I actually went and bought this switch http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S2020 I marked out where I was going to mount it and all. Even bought the screws to fit it with. I then sat down and worked out the wiring. It was then that I realised that going from full brakes to full power was just a flick of the switch away. Something I could see myself doing. Often

I then went looking for a pot which could have two input and move from one to the other. When I couldn't find anything then I started destroying pots.

The mod to the pot is quite simple really. 4 tabs to lift to get into the pot. Make sure you turn the wiper right away from where you are cutting. Have a multimeter handy so you know when you have gone far enough. The second cut is just like the first.

Cheap and easy and you end up with a nice simple knob which takes you from full brakes thru no brakes and into power assisted coast. Maybe just maybe it might protect me from myself.

Posted on 21/07/10 21:14:32
richard

I would have thought having the switch on the front of the controller would be far enough away not to accidentally knock it??

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 21/07/10 21:38:20
zoltechx

some time we will dismantle something in a vain attempt to repair it..and it doesnt always go back together the way it came apart..namely youll most likely have a screw left over or your one short ? but dismatling an electronic pot to serve your purpose is sheer genious..electronic components just hate that .. im the man who breaks the legs of leds while soldering them IDE LIKE TO SEE the morewll at work.. breaking and coast like richard said i think a momentray push switch might work too.. if theres enough room in there somewhere? heres some pics of 2 screen savers i got..just the thing for any die hard slot fan..MINI DASH CLOCK..and a SIMULATIED EKG heart monitor..MEDIC

Posted on 21/07/10 21:42:32
zoltechx

Posted on 21/07/10 21:56:13
richard

One of these could be useful too

8 pounds from here: http://www.chaskeelingscd.co.uk/controllers.htm

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 22/07/10 09:15:54
soccerkiddo3

richard wrote:
I would have thought having the switch on the front of the controller would be far enough away not to accidentally knock it??

Cheers

Richard

For most people that is probably true but there is a good reason why Kay reckons the brain turns off when I pick up a slot car controller.

Instructions: Step 1 Turn Knob, Step 2 flick switch. Turn knob then flick switch, Turn knob, flick switch. Turn, flick. Turn flick. How hard can it be?

I would give it 2 days max before I "accidentally knocked" that switch no matter where you mounted it.

Mind you if these pots don't hack the pressure then it will be back to wire wound pots with a switch.

Posted on 22/07/10 10:59:21
richard

Heh

Aren't the 'Brake' and 'Coast' mutually exclusive, so it's either one or the other ...

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 22/07/10 11:10:32
Dave in Perth

hope so, otherwise it's a dead short

Posted on 22/07/10 11:21:32
richard

Ahh, was just confused by Geoff's instructions ...
Instructions: Step 1 Turn Knob, Step 2 flick switch. Turn knob then flick switch, Turn knob, flick switch. Turn, flick. Turn flick.

Cheers
Richard

Posted on 22/07/10 13:06:48
richard

BTW: how hot is the transistor getting, for example, when running RO's for 1/2 hr or so ... ?

Cheers

Richard
page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]