{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Got myself an Airbrush

Posted on 06/11/11 22:41:43
Shawnster

Got myself an Airbrush
Been thinking of getting into painting bodies, so I got an airbrush from Ace Hobbies in Midland Yesterday. They have a huge amount of old model kits, selling on behalf of a soon to deceased seller. over 400 kits some opened most very old from the 1970s. anyhow I got an airbrush for $80, some FAScolour and adapters for running off a spare tyre. will give it a try and see how it works out. Dave your drag and HQ bodies are going to be either yellow, blue or white. not like I'm an eagles fan.

Posted on 07/11/11 06:15:52
richard

Re: Got myself an Airbrush
I'll be keen to see how you go; I bought one years ago with the same intent, but never got to use it ...

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 07/11/11 11:44:42
Dave in Perth

I got one for Xmas

Love it, even as just a mini spray gun for painting bodies.
Still working on detail skills.

I stick to water based paints cos cleanup is sooooo much easier

Shawn, go and get yaself a basic air compressor for ya shed, very handy for non airbrush stuff too.

Posted on 09/11/11 18:20:54
Shawnster

Dave what do you use for cleanup. The fellow in the shop said iso-propanol for fascolor even though it's water based. how about Pactra etc, they would need auto thinners for cleanup or something HD I guess.
what you mean an air compressor, I thought a tyre would be heaps of air for a HO body. If I use it a lot, I might get one will see how it goes first.
got some polyurethane glue from bunglings. Wow $19.50 per tube. I saw it in Big W once for $15 and didn't buy any. now they don't stock it. will try your body mounting tricks with it.

Posted on 09/11/11 19:57:29
Dave in Perth

water

A little Windex if ya wanna get serious

Hopefully ya tyre pressure will stay constant enough for painting small things.
You'll learn to allow for it anyway.
Got any kind of regulator? Then you can adjust to suit

Wow indeed on the $20 glue.. I don't remember it being that much, then again it was a couple of years ago I got mine.

Sounds like you're having fun regardless

Posted on 10/11/11 21:49:36
kevin

Hi Shawn , I got myself a modellers air brush years ago now & you can come down my way to see ho i go about painting with it ( although I use Humbrol model paints & then clean it up with thinners though ) & I've had no real issue with it over the last umpteen years now.

When I 1st got mine = I used the "pressure pack" cans of air at $10 a can back then & than I resorted to using a wheelbarrow inner tube with very little success & so I ended up getting myself a small portable compressor from K-mart that plugs into a car's cigarette lighter socket & that worked quite well for many years until the compressor died , but for about $20 bucks - I got plenty of models painted over the years & now I use a 2.5HP compressor & that works awesomely well for my latest creation.

Posted on 10/11/11 21:53:21
kevin

Here;s a pic of the actual air brush for you Shawn , I can take some more pics later if you want me to??????

Posted on 16/11/11 14:08:10
Shawnster

Cheers Guys
It should work alright with a tyre. I got 60PSI in it, for free, so see how it goes. I got the tyre adapter as well, but I think I got one from him previously, but I can't recall where that old Revell spray gun went. can't wait to try it out. I glued a body mount of Dave's onto my old RX7 shell and it's stuck on nicely. need to fix the 930K body next. We should have a prize for best paint job some day when I get skilled

Posted on 16/11/11 22:20:29
Dave in Perth

Hey Shawn - I found some PU glue in Woolies for $10....
Much smaller bottle though.
Drying time is a little quicker at least.
Tarzan's Grip Mega Bond

Posted on 17/11/11 19:45:27
richard

More pics of the airbrush, please!!

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 06/02/12 13:57:07
Shawnster

Update on the airbrush..
Got an adapter for the compressor 1/2" to 5/8" from Enzed for the princely sum of $2. added a bit of thread sealant and it works well now. Actually I need to figure it out. mixing paints and pressures and cleaning up need some research on the net. I will put some photos on once I actually paint something more substantial than a milk carton.

Posted on 06/02/12 22:48:16
Dave in Perth

try painting on paper, in fact I bought my sister some colouring books to begin her airbrush enterprises haha

I recommend staying water based, soooo much easier and cheaper, then invest in a good clear coat

Posted on 09/02/12 17:54:12
Shawnster

thanks Dave, great idea at least can aim for a target of keeping it in the shape.
yep got all water based fascolour and some chinese made stuff 12 colours for $36. bargain.

Posted on 09/02/12 19:19:47
richard

Shawn, nice new icon

Posted on 13/02/12 21:32:58
kevin

Hi Guys , haven't been able to post anything for months now ( stupid electronic crap! ) so now trying again , if this works this time , Shawn - could you e-mail me directly as I haven't got your e-mail address on the lappy , if you haven't got my e-mail address already - goto my website ( kev's workshop ) & e-mail me from there using the optus address.

thanks , Kev.
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]