{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Wave!

Posted on 15/06/14 20:48:56
Binkles

Wave!
Hello everyone! My name is Laurence and I'm a recent owner of an afx big block set, and now have a lot more parts, and really enjoying it.

I am a dad to 1.5 children, one by blood, one by respite.

I'm 4mumble2 years old, ex kiwi.

Anyways, I've always been keen on slot cars, but never had a good quality one, normally the cheapies that required 4 D sized batteries, and would drain the last of the batteries with no shells on the car, and the smallest oval I could make.

At least I eventually got one with a power supply, but nothing compared to the might that I saw at a department store and always wishing it was mine.

I have only ever seen one commercial track, I think it was 8 lanes in the thriving city of invercargill.

I recently drove past a building in Perth that advertised a slot track, and instead of stopping and looking, I went home, researched and found out its opening hours - didn't think to ring...

That weekend packed the 1.5 kids into the car, and rocked up, to find the building gutted, and just recently saw the building torn down.

Now both of the kids that make up the 1.5 are autistic, and not much fun if you change their routine, so to say they went into meltdown zone before you got to the first chicane, is a very definite statement, than goodness their was a McDonald's to calm them down across the road.

Anyways, I talked it over with the minister of home affairs, finance and all that is good, and she was more than happy to let me get a set, and build a table.... And expand... And by golly did we expand... Without the table.... And all over the dining room floor...

So.. I now find myself tip toeing around the floor, and table less....

I'm now looking at building an arduino lap timer/counter to put the .5 child in place by proving I am a better slot car driver than him... Even if I have to cheat....

Anyways, I thought I would introduce myself...

Posted on 30/06/14 10:11:51
Dave in Perth

Re: Wave!
Hey Laurence, was great to meet ya on Saturday, sorry I had to shoot through straight after racing, woulda hung around and discussed all things nerdy for a while.
You did pretty well for a "newbie", having a home track makes a difference. I'd love to check out the Arduino thingy some time too.
Currently it looks like the next race meet will be here at my place in Bbra Lake, instead of at Geoff's as originally discussed. We'll definately keep you informed whatever happens. It's not a necessity, but if you'd like to have a race meet on your track later in the year just put ya hand up for whenever suits you.
We also freely share any info on cars and track tips etc so just ask. We get more joy from getting people up to speed rather than an easy win. Until you start winning yourself though, then we go quiet and start mumbling about how our car let us down etc..

Cheers
Dave

Posted on 30/06/14 10:12:09
Dave in Perth

Re: Wave!
double post... doh!
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]