{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Slot Car Group » Topic: Arduino 4 Lane Lap Counter

Posted on 30/06/14 18:38:59
Binkles

Arduino 4 Lane Lap Counter
Hi guys!

Here's a quick rundown of the Arduino lap counter. You need 4 photo transistors for this to work, wires, lighting, an Arduino, and also a board that connects to the Arduino.

Dead easy!

In this pic you'll see that there are 4 wires (brown) connected to the ground, and also 4 that connect to the pins on the other side (blue) there is also the a black wire and a red wire which I will go into shortly.

Basically one brown, and one blue wire connect to each lane photo transistor under a piece of track - as seen in the second photo.

These need quite a bit of light to be present, which is where the red and black wire come in, there is also a very faint blue wire that you may see in the photo - these three are for my lights.

There is nothing to stop you using external lights that don't connect to the arduino, but eventually I want to see if I can make these run the starting process as they are RGB's

The red is 5v, the black ground, and the faint blue is the data line for the lights.

Really need to finish cleaning up these, and covering the bare wires

I have done quite some testing on these, and probably done close to 500~600 laps on each lane, and can't say I can remember a lap being missed.

Posted on 06/07/14 18:11:55
Binkles

Re: Arduino 4 Lane Lap Counter
I've been rebuilding this so that it doesn't need a PC.

Currently over 400 lines of code.

Select how long a race, and how many drivers.

During the race it displays what lap you're on and your current lap. Your fastest laps are highlighted with an *.

At the end it shows the laps completed, and your fastest time!

All accompanied with RGB lights, with 5 lights that light up Red in sequence, and green when it's time to get the wheels spinning.

It will also turn them red when the race is over.

Wifey suggested that I have a colour when you've got like 30 seconds left, so I will put that in.

Trying to upload a Youtube of it working... Phone and Youtube are not talking well.

Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]