{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Race Announcements » Topic: May 2006 racing

Posted on 03/04/06 17:31:44
soccerkiddo3

May 2006 racing
With April being a busy month, Easter, Anzac and School holidays, the next racing session is to be held early May. Saturday May 6th to be exact. (Put it in the diary.)

The plus is that it will give Drew more time to move his track and set it up. You don't have to worry about the rest of the house Clair.

Racing will be in the normal three classes, Thunderjet 500, Tomy Turbos and Modified Super G+. As an added twist the Super G+ will be racing with Mini bodies. If you need one drop me an email and we will sort something out.

As we are always running out of time, it is planned for an earlier start with practice from 10:30 and racing from 1:00pm. All finished by 5:00pm so you can still go out on the town after. As with last time a sausage sizzle for lunch.

Racing is open to anyone. Spare cars and bodies will be available on the day. Drop me an email to get on the mailing list.

Geoff (email burnham_k_g@yahoo.com.au)

Posted on 03/04/06 19:54:32
Richard

Re: May 2006 racing
Are we still getting a special prize for "best paint job"??

Posted on 03/04/06 22:06:30
soccerkiddo3

Certainly is.....

For the best presented mini. Whether it is the colour scheme, paint job, transfers and/or decorations used. Add a Union Jack or stylish racing stripes. What about poka dots. Do it in British Racing Green or a simple canary yellow. Make it a classic or come up with an original.

What ever you do make it a statement about yourself and what you think about minis.

Body MUST be raced on the day (It must be functional as well as looking good). Winner will be determined by popular vote.

Posted on 04/04/06 09:45:47
Richard

I asked this in the other forum (but maybe it's more appropriate here) - any tips from the people who have done this before on how to get the Mini's looking good?

Posted on 04/04/06 17:49:34
soccerkiddo3

Not sure if I can tell you how to make it look good but I can tell you lots of ways to mess it up.

Here goes, a list of don'ts (things I have done wrong):

Don't paint on the outside, paint the inside and get a good looking finish from the outside.

Don't try to cover it in one coat. Keep your coats light. Let them dry in between coats. Add as many coats as you need.

Don't hold the car up to the light, it will look good sitting on the track a long time before it looks good when held up to the light.

Don't mix paint types. I painted my windows using silver enamel then sprayed over it using polycarbonate paint. The enamel paint melted and run. Maybe I just had it too thick and didn't let it dry enough but it really messed up.

Don't expect enamels too last. Polycarbonate paint stays looking good but when I used enamel paint and nail polish it does chip off (but looks good for awhile).

Don't try to do the detail on the inside, it is too hard. Paint the inside, highlights on the outside. (Dave, when you use transfers you put them on the outside and then clear lacquer over them, right? Have you tried putting them on the inside first?)

Don't know what to do with windows. I tried masking them and then spraying over them but found them hard to fit and I always had at least one that leaked. Tried painting them first, seems the easiest. Tried hand painting the inside going around the windows but the hand shakes too much.

So guys, what have I missed out?

Posted on 04/04/06 23:32:11
Dave in Perth

oops - just answered Richard's query in one of the other threads..

Posted on 05/04/06 14:26:22
Richard

How's this for a colour scheme????

Posted on 05/04/06 14:53:26
Richard

This guy has a solution for decals on the inside:

http://www.supervipersystems.com/VargoSpeedway/HO_Tech/Making_Decals/making_decals.html

Posted on 05/04/06 20:07:40
Dave in Perth

Richard, is that your Marchon Monster Truck??

Posted on 05/04/06 20:26:51
Richard

I wish!!!

Posted on 23/04/06 21:51:08
soccerkiddo3

Invites to the May 6th race meeting have been sent out.

If you would like an invite but are not on the mailing list please email me at "burnham_k_g@amnet.net.au"

Posted on 02/05/06 13:26:01
Richard

My mini is ready to go ...

Posted on 02/05/06 13:49:38
Richard

Also keen to get some photos of each and all of the Mini's, as this is our first "paint and race" challenge ...

Posted on 02/05/06 18:56:42
soccerkiddo3

It should be an impressive line up.

Up to a dozen cars, all the same make but all done with individual flair.

A great photo opportunity.

Posted on 06/05/06 23:08:06
Richard

And the photos are here:

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2006-05-06-HO_slotcar_meet/

enjoy!! Feel free to add your own

Posted on 07/05/06 10:36:03
Richard

http://www.freewebs.com/dchoracing/

Posted on 08/05/06 18:00:07
richard

Check out the forum called "Mini SG+ for next meet" for some of the pics of the line up .....

Posted on 08/05/06 18:20:57
soccerkiddo3

The third race meet of the year was held at Drew and Clair’s place. The first and last time we will be racing on Drew’s 84 foot track as it is being pulled apart to make way for a new track that better suits the new house. Thanks to Drew and Clair for hosting the meet so soon after shifting in. Special thanks to Clair for cooking the snags and supplying the nibbles in spite of her not feeling 100%.

Again a great turn up with 11 entries for the Classic and a dozen even for Stock and Modified Stock. Good to see most people back and Cam along for his first meet as a racer.

Classic:
As usual it was tight racing for the ThunderJets in the Classic event. Chris gave a hint of the poor day he would have with his best in this event being a couple of third place ties with dad Kev or “yours truly”. Cam showed some real potential with second place in his first race ever with a brand new ThunderJet but dropped off the pace in the next few races to share 7th place with Tracey who also started well with a second but couldn’t keep her form going. Nod showed some real style drifting the car around corners (I wonder if that is how he drives on the road) for a stylish 6th place overall, maybe keeping all 4 tyres on the track would help. Richard was late arriving so had to jump in without any practice so did extremely well for his 5th place. Drew, one lap short of a share of 2nd had to make do with 4th place while his son Jason tied with Karl to share 2nd. Dave was the stand out runner as clear winner in all of his heats for 1st place overall. This win gives him a 6 point break from Drew in the progressive points tally.

Results:
Driver Progressive points
1 Dave 28
2 Karl 18.5
2 Jason 15
4 Drew 22
5 Richard 16.5
6 Nod 6
7 Tracey 13
7 Cam 2.5
Chris 8.5
Kev 10
Geoff 10

Stock:
Trialling a new racing format, we saw some fast qualifying runs followed by some great “one on one” match racing. The theory that the first person to come off would loose was proved wrong time and time again as the leader spun off many times to keep the racing close.

8th qualifier Drew managed to win over 9th qualifier Nod and then again over top qualifier “yours truly” to gain his place in a semi. 5th qualifier Jason managed to knock off 12th qualifier Katie but failed to stop 4th qualifier Dave in making a semi. Tracey as 7th qualifier knocked out 10th qualifier Richard and then 2nd qualifier Karl to book her semi place. Kev, 6th qualifier, had to get past 11th qualifier Cam (not sure those lights help Cam) and 3rd qualifier Chris for his semi spot. Strange how all 3 top qualifiers missed the semis.

The first semi saw Dave win through a close race with Drew. Tracey took out the second against Kev to set up a final with Dave. Dave true to form in this class won the final and this event for the third time straight. So much for this “no time to practice” line that he was spinning at the start of the day. With 3 wins from 3 different formats he is a clear leader in the progressive points.

Results:
Driver Progressive points
1 Dave 36
2 Tracey 14
3 Kev 14
4 Drew 18
5 Geoff 13
6 Karl 11
7 Chris 15
Nod 11
Cam 2
Jason 4
Richard 11
Katie 4
Connor 2
Mitch 2

Modified Stock:
12 Minis all with brand new paint jobs lined up for this event. (Check out the pics at http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2006-05-06-HO_slotcar_meet/) The prize for the best Mini went to Jason with his great paint job. The racing of these cars was even better with their slightly poorer handling but fantastic barrel rolling abilities there was always something to watch.

Qualifying was close with just 7 milliseconds separating the top 3 qualifiers with Tracey taking the honours from Drew and Karl.

Karl took the first heat from Dave and Kev with Katie unable to start due to car trouble. Drew won through in the second heat from “yours truly” with Chris and Cam tying for 3rd. Tracey made it 3 out of 3 for the top qualifiers ahead of Jason who recovered from a poor qualifying for second from Nod and fast finishing Richard. Dave took the last spot in the final as best 2nd place in the heats.

The final was a close affair with Karl just pipping Dave by one lap to take the honours. Drew managed to claim 3rd place from the top qualifier Tracey. The progressive points are still very tight with Drew still holding a slender lead over Karl and Dave.

Results:
Drivers Points Progressive points
Karl 10 22
Tracey 9 14
Drew 9 25
Dave 7 21
Geoff 5 15
Jason 5 9
Chris 4 19
Kev 4 13
Nod 4 8
Cam 4 4
Richard 4 18
Katie 4 8

Next race meet is pencilled in for June 10th at Kev’s in Armidale. Let us know if the date is a problem. I hope to see you all there.

Geoff

P.S. Thanks to Richard for the pics, Check them out

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2006-05-06-HO_slotcar_meet/

[Attachment: 2006 May meet results.xls (44.27kb)]
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]