{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Race Announcements » Topic: July Race Meet

Posted on 25/06/06 11:51:24
soccerkiddo3

July Race Meet
So after the wide open straights of the Bathurst layout down Armidale way, we are next on Karl's tricky layout at Craigie. Tricky because Karl keeps changing it. Never the same two weeks in a row.

Karl assures me that it will be all finished and ready to race by Saturday July 15th. So put that in the diary and keep it free.

Anyone who is interested in joining us or would just like more information, drop us a line to 'Soccerkiddo3@amnet.net.au'.

Geoff

Now Karl, how about a picture of the "final" layout?

Posted on 25/06/06 14:46:26
Karl

Re: July Race Meet
Ok guys, here are a couple of pics of the track. The layout shouldn't change now as I am about to do the edging for the track to allow the Johnny Lightnings to swing their ass out. (Gee I love those cars).

Speak to you all soon.
Karl

Posted on 25/06/06 14:47:06
Karl

Posted on 27/06/06 13:44:25
richard

That's a good lookin' track!!!

Posted on 29/06/06 20:58:48
Chadly

Hi guys, i'm new (not to HO racing). Richard invited me on here from ebay.
I race 1/24th slot cars, have been for 15 years. I'd like to come along and see what ya's do.
I'm looking to build my own 2 lane scenic layout. Anyone seen Dave Quinns Prost Park?

Posted on 30/06/06 00:35:35
Karl

Hi Chadly
I don't know what Prost Park is without doing a search on Google.
You're more than welcome to attend a race meet and race if you like. Very informal and someone will have a spare car for each heat you could borrow.
The 3 heats are Johnny Lightning 500, Tomy Turbo and Super G+ with silicones and lexan body.
Hope to see you there.

Contact Geoff at Soccerkiddo3@amnet.net.au for the address and confirmation of the times.
Cheers
Karl

Posted on 30/06/06 12:12:41
Chadly

Hey guys, there is a static model car show on on this weekend too, at the West Coast street rods clubrooms in Malaga. Saturday is a setup day for ppl with models and Sunday is Family day. Don't know if anyone is interested.
for more info contact me at www.zero@smartchat.net.au

Posted on 01/07/06 08:04:46
richard

Yer, we were going to th Zoo on Sunday, but with the weather the way it is - post the times and address and I might see if we can come along ....

Posted on 02/07/06 14:07:26
Chadly

cool, addy is 12 Cusak rd Malaga. times are 9am to 4pm

Posted on 02/07/06 14:21:15
Chadly

Oh yeah, what body styles are you using on the lexan cars? I won't really have time to mod a chassis to fit pins (i do it myself with brass pin tube). I might have to just run an F1 G+ body.

Posted on 02/07/06 19:16:14
Karl

ANy body type will do but someone wil probably have a spare body to use.
They attach using the standard body clip (Non f1 clip)

Posted on 03/07/06 12:16:47
richard

Yep, have a look in the other forum - Geoff put together a "spec sheet" for the cars and modifications allowed ... you may also want to invest in a set of silicone tyres for an SG+ (about $au6 a set) and a clear lexan F1 type body (think Dave's selling them for $2 each) ....

We ran some Mini's at one race which was quite fun, you can see the pictures here:

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2006-05-06-HO_slotcar_meet/

Posted on 07/07/06 21:26:08
soccerkiddo3

Invites have been sent for this race meet so check your emails.

Anyone who is interested in coming but doesn't have their invite drop me an email to let me know.

My email soccerkiddo3@amnet.net.au

See you there.

Geoff

Posted on 15/07/06 23:21:13
Chadly

A big thankyou to Karl and Tracey for hosting this event and thanks to everyone else for making this an enjoyable day!
Thanks

I can't say it was a layout i would really go for (maybe i just needed more practice), hehe. Don't worry, i am an open layout bully! I will endevour to get a layout/design of my track (yet to be built properly) to ya's all. You can run flat in a lot of places but it still has some tricky parts!

Posted on 15/07/06 23:47:31
richard

Photos of the day are posted here:

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2006-07-15-HO_slotcar_meet/

Enjoy!

Posted on 16/07/06 10:42:56
soccerkiddo3

Attached is a copy of the Race results for yesterday including progressive points scores.

Stay tuned for the race report. Maybe today, maybe later.

[Attachment: HO Race meet 15-07-06.xls (108.77kb)]

Posted on 16/07/06 19:54:35
soccerkiddo3

The fifth race meet of the year was held at Karl’s up in Craigie on his brand new and ever changing track. I guess that this is the final layout seeing it is nicely inlaid into the wood but why anyone would want TWO hairpins is beyond me. But much to my surprise it is a great track to drive on with its mix of fast and slow spots. That slight banking on the overpass is just enough to make you want to tempt fate and give a real burst. Look forward to racing on it often.

Thanks Karl for having us all and thanks to Tracey for helping to make it happen.

While we had a couple missing from the previous outing we still had the best turn up for the year with a total of 15 racers giving 14 starters in each event. A warm welcome Dave H and Chad along for their first meet. Good on you Sarah stepping up for your first race and a pleasure to have two visitors, Phil and Garth, drop in and join in the fun. Any time you are in town you are welcomed to join us again but I guess coming from NSW it is a bit far to see Phil often, but Garth being from WA may front more often.

Classic:
The Thunderjets were at home sliding around the tricky corners but the straights were more than long enough to test their speed.

After missing the last race meet and arriving late for this one, Nod showed how difficult these cars are without practice and stayed at the tail end of the field. Phil at least had a couple of laps practice on the day and finished one lap to the better. Drew suffered car trouble in his last heat and had his lowest finish for the year one lap further on. Managing to crack 30 laps were a group of 4; Chris who just had one of those days; new boys Dave H and Chad found their Drag Slot car experience to be little help with these cars that had to be driven around corners, not just in straight line especially as these cars don’t actually want to do either; and young Sarah recovered from a nervous first heat to post respectable performances in her other heats. There is a lot of talent down this end of the list and any of them could be knocking off those above as they put it together on the day. They only need to stay on the track a bit more to give us all a run for the money.

Kev did well to come in seventh with a new car straight out of the box. Cam and I managed to finish one lap up and tie for 5th place. My best showing for quite a few months while Cam continues to improve with each race meet. Richard did a good job taking outright fourth despite his car sounding like it wouldn’t make it around the next corner. Tracey put in 4 consistent heats to pinch 3rd place. Maybe some of us guys can learn from her style. Karl showed how to drive his new layout with good showings on the outside lanes and even better on the middle lanes. Dave G was faced with doing in the last heat what no one had been able to do during the day, post double figures in the yellow lane for a share of first place. He showed what he is made of, not only did he manage 10 laps but sneaked over the line just on the bell for 11 laps and outright first.

Dave’s victory gives him a bit more breathing space at the top of the points but Karl is not far behind. Drew clings on to 3rd spot with Tracey closing in.

Stock:
This “one on one” match racing continues to gain popularity and is enjoyed by all. The longer combined practice/qualifying session seemed to be appreciated by all. Karl led the way with an unbelievable 5.313 time but was joined under 6 second by Dave G and Drew. The rest of us posting times in the sixes and sevens.

The first heat was unbelievably close; how do you separate 2 drivers who are on the same lap and who both leave the track at the same hairpin at the same time right on the bell. Garth did manage to get the better of Kev in the rerun but couldn’t do the same against Karl in the quarter final. Cam got the better of Richard in his heat and did the same to me in our QF after I eliminated our other visitor Phil in my heat. Nod came back with avenges to knock out Tracey from their heat but found the undefeated Dave G a bit too hot in their QF. Drew showed is qualifying time was no fluke and easily accounted for a wayward Chris. Drew’s QF opponent was Dave H who won the battle of the newbies against Chad in their heat but Drew again lived up to his qualifying time.

So with the 4 fastest qualifiers into the semis and the battle was on but again qualifying times stood the test with Karl eliminating Cam and Dave G accounting for Drew. The final went the same way with Karl stopping Dave G from claiming his 5th successive win in this class. Great racing guys.

Dave G maintains his clear lead in this class from Drew and Karl.

Modified Stock:
Karl again showed that despite it being a new track, he still had it well worked out being the only one to go under 4 seconds. Myself, Tracey, Drew and Dave G posted times under 5 seconds. The rest had fives or low sixes.

Karl took the first heat from Cam and Dave H. I managed to hold my qualifying form and claim the second heat from Richard and Chris as did Tracey in the 3rd heat from Garth, Nod and Phil. Dave G managed to turn the tables on 4th qualifier Drew from Chad and Kev to claim the last spot in the final.

Karl continued in the same vane in the final running out clear winner. I managed to hold out Tracey by 2 laps while Dave G put himself and the marshals under a lot of pressure with some wayward driving. This time even he could not recover and had to make do with 4th.

This victory gives Karl a few points lead at the top of the progressive table with Dave G and Drew not far away. With the next race at Dave’s we will see how Karl can handle a new track while Dave has the home track advantage. Mind you, Drew is no stranger to Dave layout either. Look forward to some great racing.

So next race meet is at Dave’s “Way Out West HO Raceway” in Bibra Lakes on August 26th. Don’t miss this one. It is layout that is fast but still demands respect. If you don’t know it check out his web site to see what you are in for (http://www.freewebs.com/wowhor/)

Geoff

P.S. Again thanks to Richard for the pics, Check them out

Excel spread sheet already posted has full race results and progressive points table.

OZ HO slots

http://www.ozhoslotcars.com/

Special mention to Cam for catching this pic of my t-jet coming into that ridiculous hairpin at the end of the back straight. Still trying to work out "how can a car that runs so slow can get so high?" and "what did Nod’s car do to mine to cause it to happen?"

Posted on 21/07/06 18:35:59
Karl

More Pics

Posted on 21/07/06 18:37:21
Karl

Posted on 21/07/06 18:38:06
Karl

page: 1 2 last
Back