{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Race Announcements » Topic: September 2007, Championship Racing

Posted on 02/09/07 20:11:33
Karl

Re: September 2007, Championship Racing
Hey, Cam! Did you post the vids on YouTube?

Posted on 02/09/07 22:34:23
CamZH

no not yet, i havent even looked at them

Posted on 02/09/07 23:20:05
Dave in Perth

Geoff and Kay

a pleasure to race at your place, as always.

and a huge for your new software developments.

Posted on 03/09/07 20:04:09
CamZH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGyQwEiueo

RO !

Posted on 04/09/07 16:36:16
Chadly

cool

Posted on 04/09/07 19:38:22
soccerkiddo3

Results from Saturday. Write up has been started. Will have it soon.

[Attachment: HO_Race_meet_2007_09_01.xls (199.70kb)]

Posted on 05/09/07 21:46:50
Dave in Perth

Geoff

have been doing a bit of thinking and am about to lodge a bit of a protest

In the RO racing, we haven't ever dropped our worst lane before, so why is it ok this time?

I know it sucks that Chad burned up an armature, and you had gear problems, but that's racing. I wouldn't have expected much sympathy if it had happened to me.

Yeah, I'll also admit that from a quick glance at the lap results, I should've come equal 2nd with Tracey, so I do have a slight agenda, but I think it's a fair one.

Be interested to hear everybody's opinions on this one...

Posted on 05/09/07 22:00:03
CamZH

I think RO is a bit of a joke myself !
I seem to remember something about the class was meant to be based around the SP35...
Who actually uses one of these cars?
I have 2 and dont use either, I use my Storm, and still get my arse kicked...

Posted on 07/09/07 21:24:51
soccerkiddo3

This time around racing was at my place. First off a big thank you to Kay for letting us take over the place for the day and while I think that the track looks great in the lounge I will move it back into my room soon. I promise.

And next I want to talk about this myth call a home track advantage. Pure hogwash. Heck I couldn’t even win the “hard luck” stakes. While I had a bit of car trouble it was nothing compared with Chad doing 2 arms. Still, that is what racing is about.

Classic Tjets:

As usual we kicked off with Classic Tjets. Unusually the racing on the whole had clear cut winners in most heats. Karl won the first two, Chad and Dave G the next two before Karl took the fifth. The sixth saw closer racing with a tie between Garth and Cam. Tracey, Drew and Dave G each won a heat before Karl made it 4 out of 4. The next saw the closest racing with Tracey, Garth and Drew fighting out a 3 way tie with Richard only one lap behind. Great racing. Grath took out the next before Drew claimed the last 2 heats.

In Speed Karl took out the event ahead of Drew and Dave G. while in Consistency Cam and Garth tied for honours ahead of Richard.

Cam and Karl maintain their leads in the progressive points.

Stock Turbos:

In stock the racing was quite a bit closer but it started similarly with Karl taking out the first 2 heats. Dave G and Drew tied the next before Drew claimed the 4th. Tracey tied the next with Dave G and the following one with Chad. Chad and Chris had a win each before Richard took three in a row, the last of these tied with Garth. Garth then took one by himself before Karl claimed the last 2 heats.

With 4 out of 4 Karl took out the Speed result from Drew and Dave G. In Consistency Chad took the honours from Garth with Cam and Richard tying for 3rd.

In the Progressive Points, Cam maintains a healthy lead from Garth while in Speed it is a close affair between Karl and Drew after you drop Karl’s lowest points.

Modified SuperG+:

The qualifying saw Dave G take the honour with a car that couldn’t even get around the track earlier in the day. Taking the honours from Karl and myself.

The heats saw some tight racing with Chad, Cam, Jason and Garth winning their way into the Consistency final while Karl, Dave G Drew and Tracey made the Speed final.

The racing in the finals was hot with Chad managing to pip out Cam and Jason. In Speed Karl accounted for Dave G and Drew.

In the Progressive Points, Chad has narrowed Cam’s lead. In Speed Karl has increased his lead but it is tight for second.
Restricted Open:

Saw some interesting results with some major car problems and minor driver problems. When the dust settled Karl had managed to make it 4 win in 4 events. Not a bad days racing. Well done Karl. Fortunately he has “home track advantage” for the next championship round so that should bring him back to the field a bit.

Next event: Team Enduro
Remember that the next event is a team enduro at Drew’s place. A 6 lane track with 6 teams required. This gives room to fit in new racers that may be interested or of you lot who can only make it for part of the day. This is down for October 13th so get that into your diary.

Posted on 08/09/07 12:45:44
soccerkiddo3

Dave,

Sorry but I missed reading your protest. I had read Cam's posting and it must have distracted me so I missed yours.

In actual fact, in three of the 5 races that we have had in RO up until now I have dropped the worst heat. We did discuss it before the 3rd race and agreed to try it. It seemed to work then so I have done it since. This race makes it 4 out of 6 races where we have.

Whether we should do so or not is an interesting question. On the plus side it does mean that if you have a problem in one heat it doesn't mean that you have blown your chance of winning. On the negative it doesn't reward the person that is well prepared and is racing well. Although like most things it seems to have a way of evening out. Back in June it cost me outright victory where this time around it helped me into second place. I will leave the question with you lot to decide if we keep it.

But I do want to point out that it was not a decision made this time around and/or after the event. With any of these things I always like to talk about it before the racing begins.

This probably brings me nicely on to Cam's comment. Personally I do like these cars the best of all we race. I share the concerns of Cam and others that we are moving away from the original SP35 theme and we do need to decide as a group if this is what we want. But the fact that people have pushed the boundaries I see as all good as we can now have an informed discussion of what restrictions we want in Restricted Open.

I think we should open a new topic and discuss where we go with RO.

Geoff

Posted on 08/09/07 15:40:07
Chadly

Since we're discussing points, how come Dave scored more points than me at the May meet at your place Geoff? I remember that Dave and i finished equal fourth (i was ahead on a count back).

Also at Cams place in the consistancy SG+ class. Cam topped qualifying but i beat him in the final,.........he scored more points than me! In almost any other race series in the world, this would not be the case.

I think Geoffs idea of a discussion of this topic is great.

Posted on 08/09/07 19:21:29
soccerkiddo3

Chad,

There is 2 possibilities:

1/ I have made a mistake with my counting. Always a strong possibility. I do try and double check the points score but there is always the chance I will get it wrong.

2/ Bonus points. Based on what I have read from other race series around the world, I suggested a bonus points arrangement so that everyone had an interest in every race regardless of whether they were in a position to win or not. This was accepted before the first race of the year.

Points are awarded on the following basis:

Within each division (only one division in RO) - 1st 20 points, 2nd 17 points, 3rd 15 points, 4th 14, 5th 13, and so on.

Bonus points for qualifying. Fastest qualifier in each division gets 2 points. Any Speed racer who qualifies within .5 second of the fastest speed qualifier gets 1 bonus point. Any Consistency racer who qualifies within 1 second of the fastest Consistency racer get 1 bonus point. For RO Fastest qual gets 2 points, anyone within .5 sec get 1 bonus point.

Bonus point for heat win. Without regard to divisions, the winner of each heat gets one bonus point.

I have a copy of all the race results and points given. I will go back and have a look and see if I have stuffed anything up. I will let you know.

Geoff

Posted on 08/09/07 19:22:07
Dave in Perth

Geoff, I wasn't aware of the previous RO points arrangements.
Thanks for explaining it, I guess I was slightly disappointed as I finished all races and did reasonably well. So long as it's consistent, it's fair. For next season, I'd like to keep all lap totals, as reliability should be a factor in building fast cars.

I think the SP35 can be competitive, but I don't think it will beat the BSRT's without major development.
Credit is well deserved to Karl and Chad for the efforts they put into car tuning, and in our fastest class this is how it should be.
Chads new habit of smoking does show that he's found the limit for the G3 under our current rules, and hence has to juggle outright pace with durability.
The Wizzard car is more than happy to handle oversize gearing, low heights and 24 Volts.
Cam's Storm car should be even quicker if alot of development time is invested. If my current situation were different I'd take on test n tuning development seriously for the Wizzards. But that aint gonna happen for a while, considering my track will be in storage for some time

In closing, I'd just like to restate my support for Geoff's efforts in race formatting. Let's make sure our criticisms are diplomatic and constructive

Posted on 08/09/07 20:30:43
soccerkiddo3

Thanks Dave, but I am the sort that takes all criticisms constructively whether it is meant that way or not. If you want to have a go at me you have to be very blunt.

Maybe we should make the RO races longer making durability a bigger issue. Having a small number of runners we could easily have 5 minute races without making any real difference to the length of the night. Or how about 10 minutes

Tell me, "Is a Green Arm still a Green Arm after the wire turns a funny brown colour?"

As for test and tuning, hey you are always welcomed on my track or how about putting one together on the lounge room floor.

Posted on 09/09/07 16:56:15
richard

Posted on 09/09/07 18:59:01
soccerkiddo3

Chad

I have checked the points for the races that you mentioned.

RO in May

4th place 14 points each but Dave won one heat getting one bonus points. Final points Dave 15, You 14.

I think we had a reverse lane final that night but that was for bragging rights, not points (and if memory serves me right, you did the bragging).

SuperG+ at Cams

You got 20 points for the win and 1 bonus point for qualifying within 1 sec of Cam's time.

Cam got 17 points for 2nd, 2 bonus points for top qualifier and 3 bonus points for 3 heat wins..

Points are correct according to our current rules. Happy to entertain any changes to the points scoring that you may suggest. From my point of view I like the idea of bonus points and think we should have more of them. Maybe we haven't got the balance right between place points and bonus points!

What should they be?
page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]