{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Race Announcements » Topic: July Racing, Routered track, the new WOWHO raceway

Posted on 20/06/08 18:46:25
soccerkiddo3

July Racing, Routered track, the new WOWHO raceway
For the first time, we are racing on a routered HO track.

Dave wants us to give us a chance to try out different cars on his track while still having lots of time for the Tjets. Why Tjets? Well we didn’t race them last time and you would think that this track was made for them. So this time around we are mixing it all up a bit.

Track will open normal time but instead of just mucking around all morning we plan to do some extra racing. This racing is just for fun, not for points. So bring along different cars and give them a go. Dave tells me that Magnatraction (XTraction) goes pretty well. I want to see how stock standard Super G+ go. Bring them all. If we have 4 or more cars of the same type then we can have a race. Short sharp racing with only a few starters; Results don’t really matter; More about finding what cars do and do not run well on the track.

Then a bite to eat for lunch and then its down to some serious (well as serious as we get) racing. Tjets, 10 minute heats, 2 tracks running; one routered; one plastic. Small track, limited marshalling, lots of racing.

All planned for July 12th. This is one afternoon of racing that you will not want to miss.

See you all there.

Posted on 30/06/08 07:50:52
soccerkiddo3

Re: July Racing, Routered track, the new WOWHO raceway
So Dave,

Are you inviting us around for a practice or are you keeping this track a real home track advantage?

Posted on 30/06/08 21:36:14
Dave in Perth

well....

I'll get the track ready for a Sunday session (6th July?). Make it 1pm onwards. I'll probably still have Ollie here too, so may need to leave around 5 ish.

just a reminder, SUper Model Car Sunday is July 13, the day after we race here.

Posted on 05/07/08 21:10:02
Dave in Perth

just in case you missed it - practice day here tomorrow (Sunday 6th July)

is anyone coming?

Posted on 06/07/08 02:20:50
CamZH

i was hoping to make an apperance

Posted on 06/07/08 10:19:41
soccerkiddo3

I am trying to get there but there is a couple of things that I have to get done today for I head that way.

We will see how it goes.

Posted on 06/07/08 12:10:53
Karl

See ay round 1:30 Dave
Karl & T

Posted on 07/07/08 21:32:31
soccerkiddo3

Invite for racing on Saturday have been sent.

If you would like one and are not on the mailing list, please let me know.

If you have got one then please RSVP either here or via email.

BTW Please note that we will be running Turbos as a support race starting at 1:00pm. Make sure you bring your racing cars.

Posted on 08/07/08 09:05:12
richard

Yep, I'll be there and I believe Graham is also coming along ..

Cheers

Richard

Posted on 13/07/08 09:13:59
richard

for change I can be the first to say it

Thanks Dave for hosting and hospitality, the track was tight and made for some interesting racing, and it was good to run on a track that doesn't 'clack clack'

cheers

Posted on 13/07/08 09:55:38
Chadly

yep, thanks Dave. You deserve a clap (or is that a clack).

Honestly, you can tell you spent a lot of time getting things right on this track and i think the performance yesterday showed that. There is always more we can do, in building/getting a track right, but this sets the benchmark.

Posted on 13/07/08 10:16:43
Dave in Perth

guys - captured a short vid of the RO racing.

watch the bright yellow car (Garth's) carefully!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAngeFqJFf4

Posted on 13/07/08 10:51:33
CamZH

Awesome day Dave !
Always enjoy making the trek to your place, track was great, racing was tight !

thanks for a great race day !

Posted on 13/07/08 14:31:55
soccerkiddo3

Dave, thanks for a great day on your track. And great catch on the video. Garth, nice little trick

OK, now the results that I should have been able to tell you yesterday but I just could not make sense of what my silly program was doing. All understood now. I will change the program so it will not happen again.

Now the results:

Stock Turbo

Bill 1st an amazing 137 laps, Almost 30 laps clear of Richard in 2nd on 109 laps, Dave in 3rd on 100 laps. I will let the other discuss the legality of your car but your handicap jumps, from front runner to back marker in one simple step. You are up there with Dave on 18 seconds.

Classic Tjets

In Sliders, well done Karl 1st place 8 laps clear of Dave who was in turn 10 laps up on Cam.
In Crashers, Garth took the honours 7 laps ahead of Bill with Chad 2 laps further back.

RO

Thanks for racing before eating, it allowed me to race and win before the party. Karl was 2nd ahead of Cam. Pity about your car problems Dave, your car looked fast maybe too fast for that track.

So other than the little problem with my program and the bigger problem with the power it was a great day all round. Thanks again Dave. I will try and get a write up done this time around but for now here are the results to check out. Let me know if I have them wrong.

[Attachment: HO_Race_meet_2008_07_12.xls (501.95kb)]

Posted on 13/07/08 16:01:52
Karl

Thanks Dave. One excellent track you've made. Great for racing a range of cars.
Cheers
Karl

Posted on 13/07/08 23:22:35
Bill Anderson

Thanks Dave, i really enjoyed your track, its a great drive, and credit to you.
Cheers Bill

Posted on 14/07/08 19:37:16
tracey

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thank you Dave, your track is awesome, a bit of challenge and plain old GOOD FUN!! Another great raceday.

I'm glad you were able to stay for RO's Geoff, it wouldn't have felt the same without you there.

You guys put in an awesome effort, polishing off almost half of Kate's chocolate frogs, the girls took the rest door knocking up our street on Sunday and sold the rest in about 20 minutes !! FANTASTIC !!! Thank you very much my boys ! T

Posted on 14/07/08 22:15:25
Dave in Perth

Trace, glad to hear you had fun, even though your cars and my track didn't agree

Will suss out a few corners when I get the chance, just for you

Posted on 21/07/08 22:00:23
soccerkiddo3

It has been a few days so time for the race report but looking back it may have been more than a few days since the last race report. Three months to be exact. I thought I would fix that by covering the last 3 race meets in the one report. So for those of you who need a reminder, May racing was at XLR8, June was at my place and July we raced at Dave’s. Here goes.

Firstly the “Thank You”s.

May, a great vote of thanks to Scott and John, we had been talking about it for a while but at least we got in one race before you shut up shop. Also thanks to all of you who helped with the set-up and pull down. It is your effort that makes these events possible.

June, I could give myself a big vote of thanks but probably it should go to the person who does all the work and she doesn’t even race. Thanks Kay from everyone.

July, Dave, thanks for the effort of having there for the day. I won’t thank you for the routered track, that was a labour of love but I do thank you for inviting us all to race on it. It was great.

Now for the races, we raced 4 classes at XLR8, but only 3 at Dave’s and my place. That is only 10 races to cover. This report could be a bit longer than the normal long boring reports that I write. Here goes; class by class:

Classic Tjets

In May we had 15 starters in Tjets with John joining in the racing and Chad bringing along Sarah for her first race. Hopefully you will both join us for a lot more. The racing was tight with most races being decided by 2 or 3 laps over the whole field. In one race there was only one lap separating 1st from 4th. Great racing from everyone.

May Results – Sliders: Karl 1st by 1 lap over Dave G with Cam a little further back. Crashers: Chad 1st, 1 lap clear of both Bill and Garth.

No Tjets in June, in July: With Steve along for his first race we had 15 starters. Good to meet you Steve, hopefully we will see a lot more of you. Pity we had to wait patiently for the power to return before could race the Tjets. Our 10 minute heats were reduced to 6 minutes but it was still twice the time we normally have and given the track was half the size of normal we should have 4 times the number of laps but no. Did I mention how tight and twisty this track is? This track with these cars did require an awful lot of concentrating. Pity most of us were not up to it. Still great fun anyway.

July Results – Sliders: Karl 1st from Dave G 2nd with Cam 3rd. Crashers: Garth 1st from Bill 2nd and Chad 3rd.

Progressive Points: Remember when looking at points that you do get to drop your lowest 2 scores for the year. In Crashers there is a 2 way fight at the top of the order between Garth and Chad both on 101 points. While in Sliders, Karl has a clear lead with 5 wins from 5 races, can he go undefeated?

Stock Turbos

In May we had 13 starters lining up. The results were a little less predictable, I think the long open track gave you a chance to wind the cars up to full speed so you could get yourself into real trouble and most did at some stage of the races. We had 10 different winners of the 13 heats showing how unpredictable these cars are. With the handicaps anyone can win. New boy John was the bolter to win by 3 laps from Chad and Dave G equal 2nd. John we will have a handicap for you next time.

June saw us start the day with the Turbos. With Graham and Emma along for their first competitive race we had 14 starters. It was good to see both of you having a go at the racing this time around. Hope to see you both do it more often. In these races we had 8 different winners across 14 heats, looking thru the list of people not to win a heat you see names you would normally expect on the winners list. Richard took top honours for the day from Graham and Chad equal 2nd.

In July we once again started the day with the Turbos. These overpowered cars are a handful on any track but on Dave’s twisty little track they are more so. A real mixed bag of racing as people got used to the cars on this very different track. Bill showed that both he and his car could handle this track. We have a way of handling people like you Bill, it is called a handicap. From 0 to 18 seconds in one race. Richard was second, a great way to follow up your 1st last month. Could it be that you are getting some practice in these days. Third was Chris just ahead of Dave. On the other end of the scale Chad, Tracey, Karl, Garth and myself all failed to make the grade and will have our handicap reduced.

Handicaps and Progressive Points: Handicaps are interesting with Bill joining Drew on 18 seconds with Dave on 17. Richard has climbed to 13 seconds over the last 4 months and Chris is back to where he started the year. On the other side, Karl is down to 15 seconds after being below par over the last 3 months while Cam had his first good month for the year after dropping time 5 months straight. Progressive points see Chad in front but after dropping their lowest 2 scores I think Richard has a small lead. Still anyone can win in this class.

Modified Super G+

In May we had 11 racers front for qualifying, heats and finals. The qualifying sessions were limited in time and with a long track some were lucky to get an uninterrupted lap in, in fact I think a couple didn’t. Dave was the best from Speed ahead of Karl and Tracey while Cam led Consistency from Garth and Richard.

The heats saw some eventful racing, again I think the fast track just made for bigger and better crashing.

In the first group Dave and Karl fought out for top racer in the final (with Dave winning by a lap) while Tracey and Cam fought it out for the biggest crash (with Tracey taking it out by 2 spins and a flip). But all four made the final.

The second group gave me a chance to show the others why I am in Speed and they are not. Garth and Richard had some tight racing with both making thru to the final. Bill in his first race in this class could not quite get the hang of it.

The third group saw Chris recover from his poor qualifying to account for his Dad and new boy John. He did it with style and earned a place in the final.

May Results: The Consistency final with some tight racing saw a tie between Garth and Cam with Chris in 3rd and Richard 4th. In Speed, Karl reverse the results from the heats to record a good win over Dave G with Tracey 3rd although car problems in the first of the brackets ruled me out before I even got started.

In June we run an extended Super G+ race with qualifying and heats, no finals.

With a total of 10 starters, Speed qualifying saw Karl take the honour from Dave by less than 4 1/100th of a second. In Consistency, Cam took the honours by a clear 1/10th of a second over Garth.

In the first group, Karl recovered from car trouble on the yellow to blitz the pack on the white to run out the winner by only 3 laps from Dave. It is amazing that a race of 500 laps can be decided by so few in the end. Unfortunately Tracey, you and I were not really in that race.

The second group saw Cam, Garth and Chris fight out an interesting tussle. Garth had an overall consistent run while Chris lost it with poor runs on the centre 2 lanes. Cam took the honours, in part, due to a great run in the red lane.

The last group of Richard, Kev and Emma had their own private war. Richard blew it with ordinary runs in both the blue and yellow lanes while Kev and Emma fought it out to the end with Kev just pipping Emma by 2 laps.

June Results: Speed Karl from Dave G with myself in 3rd. Consistency Cam over Garth and Chris 3rd.

Progressive Points: In Speed, Karl is moving away from the rest of the group while in Consistency Cam and Garth have opened a gap over the rest of the field.

Restricted Open

I still find the speed of these cars to be quite amazing. At XLR8 we had 2 people go under 4 seconds for qualifying, Cam an excellent run with your Storm but not quite as quick as Karl with his BSRT.

In the heats the cars were really tested and Cam’s storm did not quite go the distance. Tracey showed a lot of consistency but wasn’t quite up to the pace. Dave battled hard with a car that wasn’t easy to handle. I came in second after winning both outside lanes I lost it with ordinary totals on the two “easy” lanes. Karl showed that this racing is all about consistency and ended with a good win.

June: Well I destroyed the notion of any home track advantage. Qualifying saw Karl take the honour from Dave with Cam a whisker slower in 3rd. In the heats we saw Tracey, Emma and Cam fight out a 3 way tie for 5th spot due to a combination of poor driving and car troubles. These cars are a real handful on my track. Garth did better for 4th. I managed to sneak into 3rd spot by 4 laps. Karl and Dave had a ding dong tussle for 1st place with Karl managing to grab it also by 4 laps. Great racing guys.

July: Everyone was nice enough to have the racing before I took of for a party. Thanks again. Qualifying was the normal tight event with Dave taking the honours from myself and Karl in spite of him having a home track advantage. The normal tight racing was blown apart by Dave having mechanical problems and Karl’s car having handling problem. I quite enjoyed the racing myself. Garth, Tracey and Cam had their own little competition within the bigger race with Cam winning out to claim 3rd spot overall.

Progressive Points: While I am currently ahead on points, dropping the lowest 2 scores does tighten these points up right up making it still very much a 3 way tussle with it still being anyone’s event.

Next race is on August the 9th on Richard’s Marathon Raceway. Two routered tracks in two month but with the rail height of this one you may need a set or two of extra large tyres. Anyone know where we can get re-treads done?

Posted on 21/07/08 22:13:32
Dave in Perth

Geoff, you're bloody amazing to remember any of this, let alone write it all up like you do.

THANKS, very enjoyable, be even better if I had a few more wins!

page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]