{ forum.neophytte.mine.nu }

Homepage | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Perth HO Race Announcements » Topic: Enduro - November on Shawn's Max Trax

Posted on 23/09/10 16:44:35
soccerkiddo3

Enduro - November on Shawn's Max Trax
That time of the year again where we do nearly as much racing in one day as we have done for the rest of the year.

Once again we are hoping to do an hour on each lane but it will depend on the people we get. Shawn has put up his hand to host the event. His Max trax layout is a perfect for the event. Small enough to be marshalled by one person, simple enough to make you believe that it is easy driving, difficult enough to prove you wrong.

This year to make things a bit more flexible we are looking at 5 or 6 entries where an entry can be 1 person or a team of 2 or more. An entry that is not racing will provide the marshal for the heat. Heats will be 20 or 30 minutes long. The race will consist of multiple rotations thru the lanes so you end up racing 60 minutes on each lane. Entries with more than 1 driver will be free to swap drivers at any time.

So anyone interested in being part of the day get in early so you don't miss out. Send me a message.

Posted on 23/09/10 16:46:00
Dave in Perth

Re: Enduro - November on Shawn's Max Trax
Me

Please

Posted on 23/09/10 17:27:32
soccerkiddo3

Other question is of course what cars we race, so far the list of suggestions are:

- Racing Rigs (Semi trailers) from Auto World
- Mega G from Racemasters
- 4 Gear from Auto World
- Super III from Auto World

I will have a look at each of these in turn and post my findings here for consideration. Any others we should add to the list?

Posted on 23/09/10 19:37:04
Dave in Perth

Tomy Turbos hehe

SG+ with Jel Claws?

I'm still voting for the trucks

Posted on 24/09/10 18:33:07
soccerkiddo3

I see Jel Claws the same as a silicone slip on so we can use them anytime.

Tomy Turbo we do use all the time.

So the list hasn't changed. Yet

Posted on 25/09/10 20:48:48
Shawnster

I am almost reluctant to say much due to the race being held at my place, but I am divided between the hilarity of truck racing and the seriousness of Mega-G racing. It comes down to whether we want to do lots of laps (Mega G) or have a day of squeezing big rigs around each other. I didn't find the Super III satisfying (faster than turbo, slower than SG+) and nobody got a 4 gear to try yet. I am not biased towards anything, lets try democracy , if that fails then I will have to revert to autocracy.

Posted on 26/09/10 19:53:06
soccerkiddo3

Been looking around for Mega G cars and what sort of deals we can get.

As you know, Mega G comes in 2 forms, a long wheel base with F1/Indy/Cart bodies on or a short wheel base that fits the Tomy sedan bodies.

There is a number of different paint jobs for the F1 body so getting 6 different ones is possible. These cars however are not that cheap and will cost around US$30 each plus postage costs.

In the short wheel base version we are limited to a small number of different bodies. They do come with a Ford GT body in Red, Black and Light Blue. Price US$23 each. There is also a couple of colours (Dark Blue and Yellow) which come with clear windows but these cars are US$29 each. Dave, you race a gold body don't you? That would make 6.

Another option is that you can get the short wheel base version without bodies (US$15 each). We could simply use our favourite Turbo bodies. Shawn suggested that maybe we could find 6 different Group C bodies for the day.

All prices are given in US$ and would have to include postage and currency costs. Stay turned for info on the other options.

Shawn, over to you for your comments on what the Mega G are like to drive.

Posted on 27/09/10 15:16:38
ozhoslotcars

I have tested a Mega G (1.5 short wheelbase version) on my MaxTrax layout and its a good smooth car that runs great straight out of the box (stock tyres and all). Despite the 1.5 having level 30 Neo traction magnets it will still break away when pushed too hard. In the one I tested there was a little too much rear axle 'slop' (side to side movement : backing the crown gear off the pinion a little to much for my liking and experience!) and I had to fit a spacer to ensure the pinion / crown gear mesh was good

Fit some Jel Claws ST-2080 and ST-2080-F tyres and it grips even better (but will still deslot...you don't want a car that doesn't come off the track otherwise where is the challenge)!

A quick note : when you fit the ST-2080 Jel Claws rear tyres to the stock Mega G rear rims (that are Turbo rear rims) the overall tyre/rim combo is reduced compared to the original : in this configuration the rear of the stock GT40 body scraped slightly on the track (nothing a little body filing would not fix : but do you want to do that to your GT40?). Easily solved though by fitting a stock NASCAR body etc which clips straight on...

I have not pursued the 1.7 version (Indy Car) Mega G because of the lack of alternative body styles and they used a slightly different chassis configuration (and I am not certain about the overall tyre diameter either!).

Maybe some of that helps in the decision making process

Posted on 28/09/10 16:30:47
soccerkiddo3

Rod, thanks for your comments. The more information the better the decision making.

With our Enduro we like to use cars that we do not currently race and run those cars straight out of the pack with little or no set up or mods. Cars are literally drawn out of a box and that is the car you get to run for the day. Adding a couple of drops of oil is about all we allow. It just makes for something just a bit different.

Your comment about slop in the rear axle brings up a good point. If we go with Mega Gs We will need a couple of Tune up kits so we have some spare parts if we need them. Wouldn't like to chew out a gear and not have a spare.

Posted on 28/09/10 16:31:45
soccerkiddo3

Auto World 4 gear.

Some interesting cars but I am not sure that there is anything there that I would like to race. Cost is about US$17 each but bodies are very limited and quite different in size and shape. Not sure you could line a Baha Bandito or a Scool Bus against a Mustang or a Plymouth Cuda and expect a fair result although I do like the looks of the Ford Pick Up.

Maybe we could handicap Dave by giving him the bus and I could race a Pontiac Funny car. Hmmmm, all in all these guys look a bit hard for the enduro.

Stay tuned for info on other cars soon.

Posted on 30/09/10 18:17:41
soccerkiddo3

Super III vary greatly in price. The Mustangs seem hard to get and where they are available they command a high price up to US$35 while the NASCARS are readily available for US$17. There are 6 different NASCAR bodies available but do we want them?
Shawnster wrote:
... I didn't find the Super III satisfying (faster than turbo, slower than SG+) ...

One annoying thing with the Super III is while they have a similar body mount to the Xtraction (and therefore AFX) cars they are further forward in the body meaning that you cannot swap bodies and chassis over.

Saving trucks for last.

Posted on 07/10/10 19:09:43
soccerkiddo3

OK Trucks.

I guess we are talking about the Auto World offerings. While there are other trucks being sold they are limited in number and vary greatly in price.

AW have had 2 releases of their Racing Rigs. Release 1 had 4 semis, 2 with box trailers, 2 with tankers. Release 2 had 2 semis and 2 dump trucks. The 4 trucks from release 1 are still available but most resellers do not have all 4 available. The release 2 were originally sold in sets of 1 semi and 1 dump truck but most resellers are selling them separately.

Cost per truck is around US$19.

A problem with running them is that Shawn's track will not take the box trailer on the Red lane. Besides that I think there would be a big difference between the tanker trailer and the box trailer as far as handling goes. There will also be a problem of getting 6 different trucks from the one seller.

The solution I have for these problems is that I have a number of flat bed trailers. We could use 4 of these colour coded to the lanes. Also just to keep it interesting we could race them in different configurations during the day. We could race for 20 minute heats doing 3 rotations on each lane. We could run a rotation of just the prime mover, one with an empty trailer and one with a load on the trailer.

Posted on 08/10/10 10:33:45
Dave in Perth

can the trailers be run without guide pins??

Just to make it more interesting

Are the trucks fast enough to deslot?
Can always wind up the voltage to fix that though

Posted on 08/10/10 18:40:25
soccerkiddo3

Without the guide pin you get a lot of this... and this is going down the straight not in a corner.

Through the corner the trailer gets thrown wildly out. If the trailer wheels are tracking straight out of the corner they hold their line down the straight. If the wheels happen not to be straight anything can happen but the rails do tend to make sure the wheels are tracking straight so the truck and trailer combination will go down most straights occupying two and a bit lanes.

As well as the guide pin on the trailer there is also an extra pin on the back of the Prime Mover itself making a total of three. This is probably the one we should do without.

I will have a truck with a Xtraction chassis under it at racing at my place next week. You can give it a go and see what you think of it although the AW offering has the Ultra G chassis with the extra traction magnet in it.

Posted on 11/10/10 17:23:54
soccerkiddo3

We will be deciding on the cars to buy on Saturday during racing at my place. I just take this opportunity to try and influence the outcome of Saturday's discussion. If you have an opinion now is a good time to give it and let the others think about it.

I have dismissed the AW Super III. I already have a couple of these and that is probably a couple too many.

I like the idea of the 4 Gear cars but I do not see 6 of them that I would like to race for that long.

Of the Mega Gs I do like the look of those long wheel base F1s but at that price you would want them to look good. I don't see the point of paying for GT 40s as we have raced these before so I am inclined to go with the buying half a dozen of the short wheel based chassis and adding our own bodies. I would be quite happy with Group C bodies or maybe we could make it a bit European and put together some Porsches and BMWs to use on the day.

Or we could just go for the trucks?

Posted on 12/10/10 06:59:31
Shawnster

Geoff, I think the trucks would fail to keep our amusement up once we get over the gee whiz factor. to keep them on the track you have to drive so carefully it would become a bit tedious. Luckily the Mega G chassis can take our Group C AFX bodies, I like the idea of them being raceable, perhaps we can stage the event so the last race is in the twilight hours and use some lighted cars, for effect. AM thinking of doing a write up and sending it to Scale Auto Racing (John Ford) maybe he can publish it for others to see.

Posted on 18/10/10 21:11:43
Dave in Perth

is the 20th November available?

will be kid free that w/end

Posted on 20/10/10 19:23:06
soccerkiddo3

OK, Shawn confirms the 20th as being the date.

Now to confirm the number of entries, If you haven't already done so, email me if you are racing.

Posted on 10/11/10 19:38:00
soccerkiddo3

I have a parcel, it has six chassis, spare parts and a couple of bodies.

I will put the chassis onto the speed checker and makes sure that they all run. Other than that it will be the luck of the draw.

Posted on 10/11/10 20:23:17
Dave in Perth

Thanks Geoff

Worked out how much each car/race entry will be?

Black wheels?

Spacers available/allowed for the back axle, to save the crown gear?

Looking forward to it

page: 1 2 last
Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]